‘The scariest moment of my life’
This young boy is believed to have accidentally taken Spice – now his mum wants other parents to know the dangers
THE mother of an 11-yearold boy says he was left like a “zombie” after allegedly smoking a cigarette that had been spiked with the drug Spice.
Logan Johns-Evans’ mother said her son reacted as though a “monster had taken over his body”.
Logan was rushed to hospital after his mother found him unresponsive when she went to wake him up for school on Monday morning.
It transpired that the young boy, from Bridgend, had been smoking and his family were told the synthetic drug Spice had been put into a rolledup cigarette without his knowledge.
His mother Jade Johns said that as the drug could not be tested for in urine or blood, doctors checked his symptoms and made a clinical decision that Logan was suffering from the effects of Spice, which can cause fast heart rate, vomiting, confusion and violent behaviour.
The drug has become notorious over the last year or two because users under its influence have been pictured and filmed in towns and cities around Wales with their bodies apparently fixed in rigid conditions while slumped over. They are often described as being “zombielike”.
Jade said she and her family were beside themselves with worry as her son lay unresponsive in a bed at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.
Ms Johns, of Wildmill, said: “He woke up at 3am and I thought he was sleepwalking because he was trying to make his way out of the door and he was making no sense.
“I put him back to bed and at 6.40am I went to wake him up for school and he couldn’t speak or couldn’t stand, so we whisked him to hospital.
“He was on high dependency. He was like a zombie.
“A monster had taken over his body and he had so much strength it was unreal.
“It was scary because he couldn’t speak and there was nothing in him.
“There was no response to his eyes or the light in his pupils, the only way you could describe it was like a zombie because nothing was making sense.
“In hospital he became angry and he had so much strength, but the doctors said he didn’t know what was going on.
“It wasn’t an 11-yearold child inside that body.
“My daughter told me he had been smoking, and someone came forward to say someone had put Spice in his rollie as a joke.”
Around 33 hours after arriving at hospital, Logan came round and became his normal self, but he had no memory of what had happened and believed he had only just arrived at hospital.
Jade said her son was discharged from hospital on Tuesday evening, but has been suffering from non-stop severe headaches ever since and continues to have no memory from the time between Sunday afternoon and waking up in hospital on Tuesday.
Ms John said: “It was petrifying, the scariest moment of my life. I had never prayed to God until Monday.
“People need to be aware because he came home on Sunday and ate his tea as normal – it was like a delayed reaction.
“This drug is a killer and it’s killing grown adults. I have been told by many people that the prisons are rife with it because it’s non-detectable in drug tests.
“Somebody else may not be as lucky as us, they could be even worse and a kid could die of this.
“I still have my child and my family is still complete but that may not be the case.”
South Wales Police declined to comment.
Logan Johns-Evans in hospital
Logan Johns-Evans with mother Jade Johns