Needles found on beach
BEACH-GOERS are being warned of the dangers of discarded needles after several were found during a regular clean-up.
Five needles were discovered on the sand, in seaweed, and on rocks at Ogmore-by-Sea in the Vale of Glamorgan in one day.
Trevor McGarrigle, who set up a beach-cleaning group called Volunteer Beach Clean seven months ago, is urging parents to be aware of the dangers.
He said: “It’s not just Ogmore beach – we recently found a needle at Aberthaw beach as well.
“All my volunteers are careful when doing a beach clean-up.
“I’m just scared for the public in case the unthinkable may happen. I was shocked to find so many in a short period of time.
“Needles are dangerous and parents should be aware of possible dangers at the beach.”
A Vale of Glamorgan Council spokesman said: “We have reported this issue to the Vale’s community safety team. Ogmore beach is privately owned, however we are working with the land owner to resolve this issue.”