Glossop Advertiser - - News - Tom Togher

Help for peo­ple with care needs

CARE and sup­port ser­vices are ar­ranged or pro­vided by the lo­cal au­thor­ity, mainly to adults with care needs. They in­clude, for ex­am­ple, a place in a care home or ser­vices to en­able a per­son to re­main in their own home, such as help with wash­ing and dress­ing.

A carer may also be en­ti­tled to sup­port ser­vices pro­vided or ar­ranged by the lo­cal au­thor­ity, but dif­fer­ent rules ap­ply to ser­vices for car­ers.

Care and sup­port ser­vices do not in­clude care that is pro­vided by the NHS or by hous­ing au­thor­i­ties, al­though they can in­clude some health and hous­ing ser­vices. A per­son may be en­ti­tled to have all of their care paid for by the NHS. This is known as NHS con­tin­u­ing health­care. If a per­son is en­ti­tled to NHS con­tin­u­ing health­care, the NHS and not the lo­cal au­thor­ity should pro­vide and pay for their care. If you think this ap­plies you should seek more de­tailed ad­vice. The process for get­ting care and sup­port ser­vices has three stages: l The lo­cal au­thor­ity must first de­cide what the per­son’s care and sup­port needs are. It does this by car­ry­ing out a ‘needs assess­ment’, l Once the au­thor­ity has as­sessed a per­son’s needs, it will de­cide what ser­vices they are en­ti­tled to. There are rules about how it makes this de­ci­sion, l Once the au­thor­ity has de­cided which ser­vices the per­son is en­ti­tled to, it should make a care and sup­port plan and de­cide how the ser­vices will be pro­vided, for ex­am­ple, whether the lo­cal au­thor­ity will ar­range the ser­vices or a per­son will re­ceive di­rect pay­ments to ar­range their own ser­vices. Charg­ing for so­cial care and sup­port ser­vices:

The lo­cal au­thor­ity has the power to charge for some ser­vices.

It will work out how much a client has to pay once it has de­cided what ser­vices the client is en­ti­tled to.

The lo­cal au­thor­ity must pro­vide in­for­ma­tion and ad­vice about care and sup­port ser­vices to peo­ple in their lo­cal area. This should in­clude in­for­ma­tion and ad­vice on how to get care and sup­port ser­vices and fund­ing op­tions to pay for ser­vices.

Your lo­cal Cit­i­zens Ad­vice will be able to pro­vide more de­tailed ad­vice and will be able to ex­plain what your lo­cal coun­cil’s pol­icy and pro­ce­dures are.

If you need ex­tra help be­cause of an ill­ness, dis­abil­ity or men­tal health con­di­tion you could get Per­sonal In­de­pen­dence Pay­ment (PIP).

You don’t need to have worked or paid Na­tional In­sur­ance to qual­ify for PIP, and it doesn’t mat­ter what your in­come is, if you have any sav­ings or you’re work­ing. To get PIP you must: l be aged 16 to 64 l need help with ev­ery­day tasks or get­ting around l have needed this help for three months and ex­pect it to need it for an­other nine months l usu­ally be liv­ing in England, Wales or Scot­land when you ap­ply or have lived in England, Wales or Scot­land for at least two years

There are ex­cep­tions to th­ese rules if you’re ter­mi­nally ill or in the armed forces.

If you’re al­ready get­ting DLA and the DWP asks you to claim PIP there are dif­fer­ent rules.

PIP is not based on the con­di­tion you have or the med­i­ca­tion you take.

It is based on the level of help you need be­cause of how your con­di­tion af­fects you.

You’re as­sessed on the level of help you need with spe­cific ac­tiv­i­ties. It’s hard to say if the level of help you need will qual­ify you for PIP. But, if you get or need help with any of the fol­low­ing be­cause of your con­di­tion, you should con­sider ap­ply­ing: l pre­par­ing and cook­ing food l eat­ing and drink­ing l man­ag­ing your treat­ments l wash­ing and bathing l man­ag­ing toi­let needs or in­con­ti­nence l dress­ing and un­dress­ing l com­mu­ni­cat­ing with other peo­ple l read­ing and un­der­stand­ing writ­ten in­for­ma­tion l mix­ing with oth­ers l mak­ing de­ci­sions about money l plan­ning a jour­ney or fol­low­ing a route l mov­ing around.

There is also At­ten­dance Al­lowance. You need to be 65 or over to claim At­ten­dance Al­lowance. You also need to have a dis­abil­ity or ill­ness that makes it hard for you to look af­ter your­self. To sat­isfy the dis­abil­ity con­di­tions for At­ten­dance Al­lowance, a per­son must need: l at­ten­tion from an­other per­son or l su­per­vi­sion from an­other per­son or

an­other per­son to watch over them

The day con­di­tion is sat­is­fied if a per­son is so se­verely dis­abled phys­i­cally or men­tally that, they re­quire from an­other per­son:

fre­quent at­ten­tion through­out the day in con­nec­tion with bod­ily func­tions, or

con­tin­ual su­per­vi­sion through­out the day in or­der to avoid sub­stan­tial dan­ger to them­selves or oth­ers.

The night con­di­tion is sat­is­fied if a per­son is so se­verely dis­abled phys­i­cally or men­tally that, at night they re­quire:

pro­longed or re­peated at­ten­tion in con­nec­tion with bod­ily func­tions from

an­other per­son or an­other per­son to be awake for a pro­longed pe­riod or at fre­quent in­ter­vals for the pur­pose of watch­ing over them in or­der to avoid sub­stan­tial dan­ger to them­selves or oth­ers. To find out more go to www.cit­i­zen­sad­ uk or phone 0300 330 1153, Mon­day to Fri­day, 10am to 4pm.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.