Many clubs in the stockbroker belt to the west of London are blessed with impressive clubhouses, but the grand white 18th-century mansion at Burhill Golf Club just off the A3 is arguably most impressive of all.
Both club and estate are rich in history, with Burhill coming into existence in 1907 when a group of local businessmen leased the mansion and sufficient land for two golf courses from the Guinness family.
Those who last played here more than 15 years ago may query the ‘two golf courses’ element of that previous The 18th hole on Burhill’s New course sentence, as the New course only opened in 2001. But until the second world war, Burhill also had a South course, with the land given up for arable use to help the war effort.
The Old course was created by two-time Open Champion, Willie Park Jr, and offers an extremely enjoyable mid-length stroll through the leafy Surrey countryside. Park, it would seem, had a slightly mischievous mind when it came to putting. When the greens on the Old are at peak summer pace, you can face some very testing putts, especially on the 4th, 6th and 7th.