Cox vows to end scor­ing drought

‘I can’t wait for the bad weather, it does suit me’

Harefield Gazette - - MOTORS - By Matt Lewis tms-sport@trin­i­tymir­

NOT many peo­ple en­joy the win­ter weather but Hayes & Yead­ing striker Pat Cox reck­ons he’ll find his shoot­ing boots again now the clocks have gone back.

United, who drew 1-1 with Sut­ton on Sun­day, have tra­di­tion­ally flour­ished in the warmer months and come un­stuck when the rain stops them play­ing their pass­ing game.

It was one of the main rea­sons for the club’s rel­e­ga­tion last term, although they went on to earn a dra­matic re­prieve, as the fix­tures piled up fol­low­ing post­pone­ments.

Cox only signed for the club in March this year and made an in­stant im­pres­sion but didn’t have the op­por­tu­nity to in­flu­ence re­sults dur­ing their poor win­ter form.

He in­sists things will be dif­fer­ent this time round though and the big for­ward is look­ing to end his six-game scor­ing drought at Chelms­ford City on Satur­day, hope­fully in a down­pour.

“When the pitches are nice you can pass the ball about and the team has tra­di­tion­ally done well in that pe­riod,” Cox ex­plained.

“My game is all about the rough and tum­ble though. You play a lot of games in the bad weather and that’s when I can come into my own.

“My aerial pres­ence can be a big in­flu­ence. We can play longer when the pitches get worse and I can’t wait for the bad weather to be hon­est. It suits me.

“When the ball comes to me feet I can hold it up and when the ball comes over the top I’ll try my best to win my flick-ons.

“We want to be up there this sea­son. We don’t just want to fin­ish top half this sea­son, we’re hop­ing to get up there and chal­lenge.”

Man­ager Phil Babb was slightly dis­ap­pointed Hayes & Yead­ing couldn’t hold on for all three points against Sut­ton but be­lieves his side have made great strides this term.

“There’s a lit­tle tinge of dis­ap­point­ment hav­ing gone 1-0 up,” he added.

“It was a good test for us and another one which we’ve passed. We’ve proved this year that we can com­pete with the best. The pres­sure that we put the boys un­der in train­ing dur­ing the week is start­ing to prove its worth.

“We know, cer­tainly after last year, what can hap­pen. But we’ve learnt from those mis­takes and we’ve brought in the char­ac­ters and the qual­ity to help us when it does get tough. We should be able to see good re­sults rather than runs of bad ones.

“We’re con­fi­dent we’ve got a com­pet­i­tive squad this sea­son and any­thing bet­ter than the last one will be a pos­i­tive.”

Else­where in the Con­fer­ence South, Dave Tarpey struck a late equaliser to can­cel out Shaun Lu­cien’s ef­fort as Weald­stone drew 1-1 with Maiden­head at the Vale on Satur­day.

For­mer Hayes & Yead­ing mid­fielder Jamie Hand and ex-Stones striker Richard Jolly were due to turn out for Gor­don Bartlett’s side in a friendly against Hen­don on Mon­day night but the match was post­poned be­cause of a wa­ter­logged pitch.

Stones head to high-fly­ing Bore­ham Wood this week­end. CRAIGE Tomkins led the rout as Uxbridge marched into the sec­ond qual­i­fy­ing round of the FA Trophy at the ex­pense of Hythe on Satur­day.

Tomkins had claim to the match-ball after bag­ging a hat-trick in the 6-1 rout of their Ryman League South vis­i­tors, set­ting up a home tie against the win­ners of last night’s (Tues­day’s) re­play be­tween Bide­ford and Did­cot. It was strike part­ner Matt Woods who got Uxbridge the opener on five min­utes. Once Wayne Carter had ri­fled in num­ber two from the edge of the box just past the half hour the Kent side, nick­named the Can­nons, were lit­tle more than fod­der for the ram­pant Reds.

Tomkins seven min­utes later added a third after Hythe keeper Roddy Hay­ward had dropped a free-kick. His sec­ond fol­lowed after the break and the hat-trick duly ar­rived cour­tesy of a curl­ing free-kick on 64 min­utes. Woods made it six with his sec­ond be­fore Ash­ley Miller lobbed home a con­so­la­tion for Hythe. Uxbridge will be back for much-needed league points when they host Chal­font St Peter on Satur­day.

North­wood’s Trophy progress proved more hazardous at home to Guernsey.

Woods will travel to Wim­borne Town for the next round, but only after see­ing off the Chan­nel Is­landers 5-3 on penal­ties after a 2-2 draw, the shootout avoid­ing a costly trip by air for a re­play. An open game saw Is­mail Ehui fire Woods in front with a smart turn and shot on 34 min­utes, but the lead lasted just four min­utes be­fore Jac­ques Is­abelle teed up Marc McGrath to level things. Woods had the bet­ter of the re­main­der of the 90, but could not force a win­ner and then found them­selves be­hind in the first pe­riod of ex­tra-time when Do­minic Heume struck.

Time was run­ning out for the hosts when Perry Dicker was thrown on for Jor­dan Lawal with just eight min­utes left, but the sub­sti­tute promptly ran onto a through-ball to slot home with his first touch – and so to penal­ties. Here, while Woods’ tak­ers kept their nerve Guernsey sub Luke Winch was the man to miss their third kick, en­abling Michael Mur­ray to seal vic­tory. Woods are back in league ac­tion on Satur­day at home to Bea­cons­field SYCOB.

Al­ready out of the Trophy, AFC Hayes were with­out a game and are prop­ping up the rest in the league ahead of Satur­day’s visit to Bed­worth United.

Mean­while, Hare­field United’s’s run in the FA Vase is over fol­low­ing a 3-1 de­feat at Spar­tan League ri­vals Sun Sports in the first round. Ryan Ki­nane gave United a half-time lead, but they were sunk by three sec­ond-half strikes from the hosts. Else­where, Hilling­don Bor­ough’s wretched Spar­tan South Mid­lands Premier form con­tin­ued as they were beaten 3-0 at Big­gleswade United. Bor­ough en­ter­tain Berkham­stead on Satur­day be­fore host­ing Sun Sports on Tues­day, while Hare­field host Holmer Green this week­end.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.