HIGH COURT REJECTS SAINSBURY’S
Sainsbury’s petitioned High Court over £100m development
A LEGAL challenge by Sainsbury’s to prevent a £100 million development in South Ruislip has been rejected by the High Court.
The supermarket giant had applied for a judicial review of the process through which planning permission was granted for the proposed development, which would include a rival Asda store.
But the High Court has refused permission for the review, ruling Hillingdon Council followed proper procedures.
Sainsbury’s now has until Friday to debate the decision.
Andrew Rennie, managing director of Citygrove Securities Ltd, the firm behind the development plans, said: “We are delighted that the judge has refused permission. It is the first stage and hopefully the last stage.
“We certainly feel that the judge’s reasoning was short, succinct and quite robust. It is obviously up to Sainsbury’s what happens next.”
The plans involve building a 40,000 sq ft Asda supermarket, a cinema complex, five restaurants, 14 houses and 118 flats at the derelict former Arla dairy site in Victoria Road.
The development is expected to create more than 530 jobs.
Work had been scheduled to begin this month, but has been delayed by the legal proceedings.
Mr Rennie said that if Sainsbury’s appeals the court’s decision, this would cause a further two-month delay, even if the judicial review is again refused.
Citygrove has previously estimated that, if a judicial review were granted, it could delay the project by up to a year and cost the council upwards of £200,000.
Mr Rennie said: “I would hope that Sainsbury’s will appreciate that its actions have no prospect of success. Sainsbury’s has already delayed the commencement of works by a couple of months, and should now let Hillingdon decide what is best for South Ruislip.”
Sainsbury’s has had permission to double the size of its existing supermarket, in nearby Long Drive, since 2006, but has not done so.
The company wants permission to build a new store on the site while work is being carried out.
A Sainsbury’s spokesman said: “We are waiting for the judge’s full written report so that we can review and consider our next steps.”
STANDING FIRM: Residents demonstrate against Sainsbury’s’ attempt to block a planned £100m development from being built in South Ruislip