Warn­ing af­ter cat is poi­soned

Beloved pet died from an­tifreeze

Harefield Gazette - - NEWS -

YOUNG dancers are cel­e­brat­ing af­ter win­ning a raft of tro­phies in a na­tional com­pe­ti­tion.

A team of 30 dancers from Fu­tu­nity UK, aged be­tween seven and 17, took part in the Bri­tish Street Dance Cham­pi­onships from March 6 to 8.

The com­pe­ti­tion was run by the United Dance Or­gan­i­sa­tion (UDO) and held at Pontins’ Brean Sands Hol­i­day Park, in Som­er­set.

The team brought home a hoard of tro­phies to their dance club in Hare­field Road, Uxbridge.

Fu­tu­nity UK academy manager Ni­cole McDon­nell said: “We are so proud of ev­ery sin­gle dancer that per­formed and are look­ing for­ward to our next com­pe­ti­tion.”

The solo en­trants were: Isa­iah An­sah (1st place in un­der 10 begin­ners); Aliyha Seales (1st in un­der 10 in­ter­me­di­ate); Ba­sit Ayan­wusi (1st in un­der 12 ad­vanced); Chrisphina Wreh (2nd in un­der 16 be­gin­ner/ novice); Elena Gyasi (3rd in un­der 16 ad­vanced girls); Joe Jar­rett (4th in un­der 16 ad­vanced boys); and Tayla Ne­vard (6th place).

The duos were: Isa­iah An­sah and Mya Si­monPeters (1st in un­der 12 begin­ners); Joe Jar­rett and Katie McKnight (1st in un­der 16 ad­vanced); and Ba­sit Ayan­wusi and Megan Ne­vard (3rd in un­der 14 ad­vanced).

The teams were: Push to Start (6th in un­der 14 ad­vanced); DUY (7th in un­der 10 begin­ners); and Krysalis (7th in un­der 18 in­ter­me­di­ate). A PET owner who be­lieves her cat and four be­long­ing to a neigh­bour died of an­tifreeze poi­son­ing is warn­ing oth­ers to be vig­i­lant.

The 58-year-old woman, who wished to re­main un­named, said vets con­firmed her beloved black and white cat Max, a two-year-old Tuxedo, had in­gested the toxic sub­stance.

The woman, who lives in Marl­bor­ough Road, Uxbridge, said she first no­ticed Max was be­hav­ing strangely – de­mand­ing more care and at­ten­tion than usual – on Mon­day, March 23.

She took him to a ve­teri­nary prac­tice and then to the RSPCA’s Put­ney An­i­mal Hos­pi­tal, in Claren­don Drive, where he was put on a drip.

She said: “They told me there was a good chance they could re­verse the ef­fects, but un­for­tu­nately he took a turn for the worse overnight and all his or­gans shut down one by one.

“In the end I was told there was noth­ing that could be done but to put him down.”

A fort­night ear­lier, a neigh­bour living in nearby Nel­son Road, which joins onto Marl­bor­ough Road, had four cats die of sus­pected an­tifreeze poi­son­ing within days of one an­other, ac­cord­ing to the woman.

She said: “I hon­estly don’t think it’s been done de­lib­er­ately. I think it’s a tragic ac­ci­dent.

“I reckon some­one dis­posed of some­thing that’s used in car main­te­nance that had an­tifreeze on it.

“I think it was down to some­one be­ing ir­re­spon­si­ble.”

She added: “I would like to warn peo­ple that this has hap­pened, but also get a warn­ing out to peo­ple who aren’t pet own­ers and aren’t aware of how toxic an­tifreeze is – even a child or an adult, if they touch it and put it in their mouth, it can cause kid­ney fail­ure and brain dam­age if it’s in­gested.”

The RSPCA says pets are killed ev­ery year by ac­ci­den­tal poi­son­ings from spills and wa­ter coolant leak­ing from cars.

The or­gan­i­sa­tion ad­vises mo­torists to reg­u­larly check their cars for leaks, as well as to store an­tifreeze and wa­ter coolant in clearly la­belled bot­tles and clean up any spills im­me­di­ately.

In Jan­uary the Gazette re­ported how David Shelvey and Sarah Wel­burn’s five-year-old yel­low Labrador Ollie had to be put to sleep days af­ter con­sum­ing drink­ing a liq­uid placed in a dog bowl in the woods at Ruis­lip, prompt­ing warn­ing posters amid con­cerns that some­body may have been de­lib­er­ately poi­son­ing pets.

The symptoms of an an­i­mal con­sum­ing an­tifreeze can in­clude vom­it­ing, seem­ing de­pressed or sleepy, ap­pear­ing drunk and un­co­or­di­nated, seizures and breath­ing dif­fi­cul­ties.

Any­one who sus­pects their pet has come into con­tact with an­tifreeze or wa­ter coolant should take them to a vet im­me­di­ately.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.