Eight year sen­tence for ‘ap­palling’ crime spree

Stole cash from learn­ing sup­port cen­tre

Harefield Gazette - - NEWS - By Nathan Spen­de­low nathan.spen­de­low@trin­i­tymir­ror.com

Uxbridge Gazette, Stoke Mill, Wok­ing Road, Guild­ford GU1 1QA

ed­i­to­ri­aluxbridge@ trin­i­tysouth.co.uk A MAN de­scribed as an “ap­palling ca­reer crim­i­nal” by po­lice has been jailed for eight years.

Reece Owen, 26, of no fixed ad­dress, was found guilty on July 2 of two counts of dan­ger­ous driv­ing, driv­ing whilst dis­qual­i­fied, two bur­glar­ies, pos­ses­sion of an of­fen­sive weapon, es­cap­ing from cus­tody and as­sault­ing po­lice, ac­cord­ing to the Met.

He was jailed on Mon­day last week by Isle­worth Crown Court.

Owen re­ceived a 27-month prison sen­tence in Jan­uary 2013 for a bur­glary he com­mit­ted in the Thames Val­ley Area. On June 24 last year he was wanted on re­call to prison by po­lice in Hilling­don af­ter he breached the con­di­tions of his re­lease.

Owen com­mit­ted two of­fences in the weeks lead­ing up to his dis­ap­pear­ance and was re­spon­si­ble for driv­ing dan­ger­ously on April 10 2014 in Cow­ley Road, where he drove at speed, mount­ing the pave­ment and nar­rowly miss­ing pedes­tri­ans, po­lice added.

On June 19, he bur­gled the Ru­ral Ac­tiv­i­ties Cen­tre – a gar­den cen­tre and learn­ing sup­port cen­tre for adults with learn­ing dis­abil­i­ties – steal­ing a quan­tity of cash.

Po­lice ar­rested Owen on June 23 at an ad­dress in Hilling­don. While in po­lice cus­tody, at Hilling­don Hos­pi­tal on June 24, he pushed two po­lice of­fi­cers and sprinted away from them, es­cap­ing.

On July 3, po­lice said he bur­gled another ad­dress, in Blos­som Way, steal­ing a wal­let and other items.

Shortly af­ter, a mem­ber of the public recog­nised Owen’s face from a media ap­peal and con­tacted the po­lice.

Owen drove a VW Golf at dan­ger­ous speeds on July 16 in Pield Heath Road, with po­lice un­able to pur­sue and de­tain him at the time due to the ex­treme dan­ger he placed in the lives of the public, po­lice and him­self, of­fi­cers said.

Fi­nally, on July 20, of­fi­cers vis­ited an ad­dress in Lovi­bond Close, West Dray­ton, and Owen was ar­rested. At the time of the ar­rest, Owen reached for a knife as he strug­gled with po­lice.

De­tec­tive Con­sta­ble Wes­ley John­son said: “Owen clearly went to great lengths not only to evade the po­lice, but to carry on com­mit­ting crime while he was sought.

“The sheer dis­re­gard he has shown to the lives of other road users is ap­palling and there is no doubt that his ac­tions could have caused sig­nif­i­cant in­juries or even death.

“Our team’s tenac­ity and drive to lo­cate Owen, to­gether with the public’s over­whelm­ing re­sponse to media ap­peals, led to his ar­rest.

“Owen will now face a con­sid­er­able time be­hind bars, away from a com­mu­nity which he blighted with his ap­palling be­hav­iour and will have to face the con­se­quences of his ac­tions.

“There is no place for crim­i­nals like Owen to hide and we will use ev­ery tac­tic and re­source to cap­ture those who think they can evade the author­i­ties.”

n JAILED: Reece Owen

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.