A frac­tion from death by blade

At­tacker had knife with him in pub

Harefield Gazette - - NEWS - By Kather­ine Cle­men­tine kather­ine.cle­men­tine@trin­i­tymir­ror.com

A 22-year-old man has been jailed for a Hayes pub stab­bing that left his vic­tim need­ing life­sav­ing surgery.

Michael Fla­mur Shehu, of Var­coe Gar­dens in Hayes was sen­tenced to eight years and six months’ im­pris­on­ment for griev­ous bod­ily harm with in­tent at Isle­worth Crown Court on Mon­day Au­gust 24.

Shehu stabbed his 34-year-old vic­tim through the liver with a kitchen knife at the Blue La­goon pub ear­lier this year.

Po­lice were called at around 2.45am on Satur­day, March 7 to the pub in Wood­end Green Road, Hayes, fol­low­ing an al­ter­ca­tion be­tween two groups of men. The dis­pute started af­ter one man played a prank on an as­so­ciate of Shehu’s by tem­po­rar­ily tak­ing his crutches away from him. An ar­gu­ment de­vel­oped be­tween the two groups which pro­gressed into a phys­i­cal al­ter­ca­tion close to the dance floor of the pub.

Dur­ing this in­ci­dent, which lasted a minute, Shehu with­drew a red kitchen knife and stabbed the vic­tim in the ab­domen.

Shehu and his as­so­ci­ates then im­me­di­ately fled the venue leav­ing the vic­tim col­lapsed and heav­ily bleed­ing on the floor.

Po­lice and paramedics from the Lon­don Am­bu­lance Ser­vice at­tended and the vic­tim was rushed to St Mary’s Hos­pi­tal in Padding­ton where he un­der­went life- sav­ing surgery to his liver, trans­fu­sions for sig­nif­i­cant blood loss and in­ten­sive care.

The vic­tim has since been dis­charged from hos­pi­tal but is still re­cov­er­ing from his in­juries.

Of­fi­cers at­tended the scene and re­cov­ered the blood-stained knife. This was later dis­cov­ered to have traces of Shehu’s DNA on it.

Of­fi­cers also seized Shehu’s ve­hi­cle, a Vaux­hall Vec­tra, which had been parked and aban­doned in the Blue La­goon car park. In­side the ve­hi­cle of­fi­cers dis­cov­ered another knife, green in colour.

Fol­low­ing ap­peals and en­quiries to trace his where­abouts, Shehu handed him­self into Uxbridge po­lice sta­tion on Mon­day May 25 where he was im­me­di­ately ar­rested and sub­se­quently charged.

Shehu pleaded guilty to griev­ous bod­ily harm with in­tent at Isle­worth Crown Court on June 10.

Act­ing De­tec­tive Sergeant Paul Matthews said: “Med­i­cal ex­perts have ver­i­fied that this vic­tim was a small frac­tion away from los­ing his life, with a 5cm knife wound which mirac­u­lously missed his spleen.

“Another mir­a­cle that day was the im­me­di­ate first aid given to the vic­tim by an off-duty nurse who was en­joy­ing a night off at the pub.

“Through­out this in­ves­ti­ga­tion ev­ery foren­sic op­por­tu­nity has been ex­plored and used to help us bring the best ev­i­den­tial case against Shehu be­fore the courts.”

As a re­sult of a li­cens­ing re­view into the Blue La­goon con­ducted by of­fi­cers at Hilling­don and the lo­cal au­thor­ity, a three-month clo­sure or­der was served to the venue’s man­age­ment in early March.

This fol­lowed a num­ber of com­plaints from lo­cal res­i­dents and in­ci­dents of vi­o­lence and an­ti­so­cial be­hav­iour oc­cur­ring at the venue.

n JAILED: Michael Fla­mur Shehu, 22, stabbed his vic­tim in a dis­pute at the Blue La­goon, Hayes

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.