Rapist con­victed af­ter 10 years

Man sen­tenced as DNA proves guilt

Harefield Gazette - - NEWS - By Kather­ine Clemen­tine kather­ine.clemen­tine@trin­i­tymir­ror.com

A HAYES man has been jailed af­ter rap­ing two women at gun­point a decade ago and leav­ing them “trau­ma­tised”.

Marek Tokar, 33, of no fixed abode, but from the Hayes area, was sen­tenced to 14 years be­hind bars last Thurs­day at Isle­worth Crown Court af­ter be­ing con­victed of two counts of rape and firearms of­fences.

Tokar was ar­rested ear­lier this year by de­tec­tives from the Met’s Sex­ual Of­fences Ex­ploita­tion and Child Abuse Com­mand af­ter DNA ev­i­dence linked him with the vi­o­lent at­tacks.

The court heard how, in the early hours of May 26, 2005, a man at­tacked a 29-year-old woman on Bea­cons­field Road in Southall.

He threat­ened her with a gun and raped her be­fore steal­ing her phone and some money.

The woman re­ported the at­tack later that day and was seen by spe­cial­ist of­fi­cers who took her to a haven, which pro­vides ur­gent and fol­low-up care to peo­ple who have been sex­u­ally as­saulted or raped

DNA ev­i­dence from an uniden­ti­fied man was re­cov­ered.

A month later, on June 24, a 26-year-old woman con­tacted po­lice and stated that while she had been wait­ing for a bus, a man had en­gaged her in con­ver­sa­tion be­fore grab­bing her by the arms.

He pro­duced a firearm and forced her on to Spring­field Road, Hayes, where he raped her.

Of­fi­cers car­ried out a lengthy in­ves­ti­ga­tion but were un­able to iden­tify a sus­pect. The cases and foren­sic ev­i­dence re­mained on po­lice file.

But on June 5 this year, Tokar was ar­rested for un­re­lated mat­ters whilst try­ing to leave the coun­try. His DNA was linked with the rapes and he was charged two days later.

Tokar was found guilty on Novem­ber 13 of two counts of rape and two counts of pos­ses­sion of an im­i­ta­tion firearm.

De­tec­tive In­spec­tor Si­mon Eller­shaw, said: “The Met re­mains de­ter­mined to track down of­fend­ers and the con­tin­ued ad­vance­ment in foren­sic sci­ences is aid­ing us to bring peo­ple be­fore the courts.

“Tokar left his vic­tims trau­ma­tised, but I hope to­day’s sen­tenc­ing brings them some re­lief from the knowl­edge the man who at­tacked them has been caught and is now in prison. I would al­ways en­cour­age any vic­tims of sex­ual of­fences to con­tact po­lice so that they can re­ceive the ap­pro­pri­ate sup­port.”

n JAILED FOR 14 YEARS: Marek Tokar, 33

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.