Lucky es­cape for six peo­ple from burn­ing flat

Harefield Gazette - - NEWS -

SIX peo­ple had a lucky es­cape from a flat fire in Uxbridge, with one man taken to hos­pi­tal suf­fer­ing from smoke in­hala­tion.

The res­i­dents were saved thanks to a woman in the house op­po­site notic­ing smoke com­ing out of a bed­room win­dow and call­ing 999, as well as a smoke alarm giv­ing them an early warn­ing.

The man, who was suf­fer­ing from smoke in­hala­tion, was taken to hos­pi­tal by Lon­don Am­bu­lance Ser­vice, af­ter the blaze on Satur­day March 12 in High Street, Cow­ley.

Around 10 fire­fight­ers and of­fi­cers worked to keep the fire con­tained to a bed­room, af­ter Lon­don Fire Brigade were called just be­fore mid­day.

It took the brigade un­der an hour to get the blaze on the busy High Street un­der con­trol, with the scene cleared at 12.44pm.

Trans­port through the town cen­tre was se­verely af­fected with Trans­port for Lon­don re­port­ing de­lays.

A spokesper­son for Lon­don Fire Brigade said: “Our ad­vice is to have a work­ing smoke alarm on ev­ery level of your home and the safest op­tion is have the alarms linked to­gether. This will give the ear­li­est warn­ing if there is a fire in your home.”

Two fire en­gines from Hilling­don at­tended the scene and the cause of the fire is cur­rently un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.