Kear­ney saves a point as United strug­gle

Harefield Gazette - - SPORT -

A LAST-GASP Dy­lan Kear­ney goal sal­vaged a point in stop­page time for Hayes & Yead­ing United against Cam­bridge City.

United, who are yet to pick up a win on the road in their open­ing two fix­tures this term, are con­tin­u­ing to find their feet un­der new boss Mickey Lewis.

But they took the lead fol­low­ing a 16th minute strike from Lloyd Mack­lin, the mid­fielder coolly loft­ing the ball over the ad­vanc­ing keeper to give the vis­i­tors an ideal start.

The sec­ond 45 saw Cam­bridge, search­ing for their first win of the sea­son, turn the game on its head fol­low­ing two goals in seven sec­ond­half min­utes.

Tunde Adewunmi con­verted what looked to be a con­tro­ver­sial penalty de­ci­sion af­ter the ref­eree over­ruled the as­sis­tant ref­eree’s orig­i­nal call of a free-kick. The for­ward was not go­ing to com­plain how­ever as he fired low into the cor­ner to draw the game level.

Cam­bridge were now in the as­cen­dancy and took the lead in the 71st minute through Erkan Okay.

He moved in from the left and hit a strike through the de­fender’s legs and be­yond the de­spair­ing dive of Louis Wells, who was largely un­sighted un­til the last sec­ond.

But United were not pre­pared to leave with­out a point and deep into added time sub­sti­tute Kear­ney main­tained his com­po­sure to leave his marker and slot a strike into the far cor­ner.

It was not such good news for North­wood, how­ever, as they were dumped out of the Emi­rates FA Cup at the pre­lim­i­nary round stage the af­ter a 2-0 loss to Sun Sports.

The home side took the lead af­ter a cross was only half cleared al­low­ing Tommy Walsh to stroke the ball home. Mid­way through the sec­ond pe­riod Sun Sports dou­bled their lead thanks to a spec­tac­u­lar goal from David Do­minic, who struck from wide on the left over the help­less keeper and into the top cor­ner.

Else­where, Uxbridge breezed through their pre­lim­i­nary round game, record­ing a re­sound­ing 3-0 vic­tory on the road against Craw­ley Green.

Three first-half goals from Jon-Jo Bates, Matty Woods and Wayne Carter wrapped up the game within the open­ing 45 min­utes.

AFC Hayes were on the wrong side of a 3-0 score­line away to Chert­sey Town to end their cup dream.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.