Family in mission to find Jim’s work colleagues
Man died aged 84 from mesothelioma thought to be due to asbestos exposure
THE family of the late Walter ‘Jim’ Hancock have launched a witness appeal in an effort to find former colleagues who worked with him between 1968 and 1996.
Mr Hancock died aged 84 in December 2014 from mesothelioma, a form of lung cancer thought to have been caused by sustained exposure to asbestos when working as a draftsman across Brentford and Ruislip.
He worked for The Pyrene Company Limited between 1968 and 1973.
At the time, the company manufactured firefighting equipment in Great West Road, Brentford. The Pyrene Company Limited was later taken over by Chubb Fire Security. The Uxbridge Gazette Series
Mr Hancock worked for Taylor Woodrow Group from 1974 until 1996.
It is believed he was based in the Ruislip area but he would travel to different locations.
The family of Mr Hancock, known to friends and family as Jim, are now trying to trace former work colleagues in the hope they can provide further information about his working conditions.
His widow, Eileen, has appointed law firm Hugh James to establish whether he was exposed to asbestos during his working life.
Mrs Hancock said: “Jim never really spoke about his work, he was a quiet man who liked to keep himself to himself.
“He typically wore a suit to work and would travel a lot. When we discovered that he had mesothelioma and it could have been related to asbestos exposure we were very surprised.
“It was a big shock to us when Jim started to fall ill.
“Throughout his life he was incredibly healthy and he used to love going for a run down the canal.
“He was very active and generally there wasn’t much he couldn’t do.
“To many of his friends he was also known as Wally Hancock.
“We hope there are people who worked with Jim who can help us learn how and where he might have been exposed to asbestos.
“It’s a harsh reality that many workers throughout that period were in contact with it as the dangers were simply not known.”
Hayley Hawkins, solicitor at Hugh James, added: “With only a limited knowledge of Mr Hancock’s employment history, we are keen to speak to as many people as possible in the area that he might have had contact with during his working life to see if we can learn more about his potential asbestos exposure.”
Former colleagues og Walter ‘Jim’ Hancock can get in touch with law firm Hugh James by calling Hayley Hawkins on 0808 231 6604.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Walter ‘Jim’ Hancock died from a form of lung cancer