Tyre fire fumes could be toxic

Hayes & Harlington Gazette - - YOUR SAY -

I read your ar­ti­cle “Evac­u­a­tion as car work­shop goes up in flames” (Gazette Fe­bru­ary 7) which re­ported that a blaze broke out at a car work­shop in Trout Road, Yiewsley.

It took five hours for the brave Lon­don Fire Bri­gade to bring the blaze un­der con­trol.

Some lo­cal res­i­dents had to leave their homes and wit­nesses saw a “big ball of black smoke” and “mas­sive flames.”

I can’t help won­der­ing if there will be any long-term health ef­fects from the smoke on those nearby. Burn­ing tyres give off toxic chem­i­cals such as ben­zene which can cause ge­netic dam­age.

Sol­vents such as ben­zene and toluene, are used as de-greasers in ve­hi­cle work­shops and are proven to cause can­cer and blood dis­eases, in­clud­ing leukaemia.

I’m glad the Lon­don Fire Bri­gade has launched an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the cause of the fire, as we need to know how to pre­vent an­other such fire. Name and ad­dress with­eld

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.