‘Daddy, help me’ – the final
A TEENAGE girl from Fulham who died after suffering a severe allergic reaction to a Pret A Manger baguette said “Daddy, help me” as she struggled for inquest has heard.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, a 15-year-old with numerous allergies, collapsed on a British Airways flight from London to Nice on July 17 2016. breath, an
She had been travelling with her father and best friend when she stopped to get an artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette as they passed through Heathrow Airport’s Terminal 5.
Unknown to the group, the sandwich dough contained sesame seed, a detail not mentioned on its packaging, according to a statement from her father, Nadim Ednan-Laperouse, read on the first day of her inquest at West London Coroner’s Court.
Natasha was allergic to the ingredient and suffered a cardiac arrest despite two epipens being applied to her legs.
She was declared dead the same day at a Nice hospital.
The family’s lawyer, Jeremy Hyam QC, became emotional as he read Mr Ednan-Laperouse’s statement to the inquest on Monday, at one stage pausing to regain composure.
It said: “How could it be that such a terrible thing could have happened when we were so careful with food?”
Natasha suffered from food allergies her entire life, but had learnt to diligently scrutinise food labels and was alert to the dangers of cross-contamination.
“Before the holiday to Nice, there has never been an occasion when Natasha had failed to respond to the epipen injections and I don’t recall being given any advice about what to do when the epipen didn’t work,” her father’s statement said.
The group had gone to the Pret branch at 7am, around one hour before they were due to fly.
“Natasha told me she had found a baguette that contained all the ingredients she loved and could eat,” her father’s statement said.
The label gave “no indication or mention that sesame seeds were present”, he said, adding: “Natasha and I relied on food information and saw no need to ask Pret counter staff if any other information was needed.”
Oliver Campbell QC, representing the chain, said at the hearing that a label on the sandwich would have said “freshly prepared with good natural ingredients”.
Natasha at first felt her throat growing itchy and took some Piriton.
Around 20 minutes into the flight, she complained it was getting worse and her father noticed her neck looked red, as if she had been rubbing it.
Shortly afterwards she returned from the toilet with vicious red hives on her midriff “like a jellyfish sting”, the inquest heard.
Giving evidence on Monday, her father said: “[She told me] ‘Daddy, I’m not feeling well’ and she lifted up her top and she displayed these red welts like lacerations which I had not seen before, but I understood something unbelievable was going on.”
She was rushed to the cabin’s toilets, where her father applied an epipen.
The statement said: “We waited a couple of minutes to see how she reacted.
“She said she couldn’t breathe properly and it was getting worse and urged