AFC let two-goal lead slip late on as Stud­ley fight back

Hinckley Times - - SPORT -

HINCK­LEY AFC con­ceded twice late on as Stud­ley fought back to sal­vage a point in a 2-2 draw at the Wel­fare Ground, writes Liam Gibbs.

The two sides had sim­i­lar records be­fore the game, and it showed in the en­counter with lit­tle to sep­a­rate the sides through­out.

Matt Jelfs’ de­flected free kick and Jor­dan Wil­son’s cool fin­ish put Hinck­ley two goals to the good as James Jep­son’s men looked set for a sec­ond straight vic­tory.

But Joe Adams’ screamer pulled the Bees within a goal, be­fore Reece Tay­lor-Ran­dle lev­elled deep into stop­page time.

Jep­son made four changes to his side that de­feated Lit­tle­ton last week. 16-year-old goal­keeper Ge­orge War­ren made his first start with Adam Har­ri­son sus­pended, while Jelfs also started for the first time this sea­son. Kieran Har­ri­son and Louis Hamil­ton re­turned.

The first half was largely even, the two sides can­celling each other out for large parts on a wet Wel­fare Ground sur­face.

But the dead­lock was bro­ken just after the mid­way point in the half. Hinck­ley were awarded a free kick 20 yards out, and Jelfs’ set piece was de­flected off the wall to leave Tom Hay­ward stranded and put Hinck­ley ahead.

All looked rosy for Hinck­ley at the break, and even more so after it.

Kick­ing down the slope, Stud­ley had more of the play in the sec­ond half but cre­ated lit­tle to show for it as Hinck­ley, led su­perbly by Ja­son Lee, de­fended well.

And AFC net­ted a sec­ond goal with their best move of the match mid­way through the sec­ond pe­riod.

Jean Dak­ouri and Sam Belcher were heav­ily in­volved, the former’s surg­ing run find­ing the lat­ter who threaded Wil­son through on goal, a fine move end­ing with Wil­son’s neat fin­ish to put AFC two goals to the good.

But Hinck­ley have strug­gled to keep hold of leads this sea­son, and nerves would have been jan­gling with ten min­utes to play when Adams’ fine strike from out­side the box flew into the top cor­ner to halve the deficit.

That gave Stud­ley hope that they could ex­tend their good run, and winger Dale Ed­wards con­tin­ued to pro­vide their great­est threat down their left.

In­deed, it was he who set up the equaliser four min­utes into stop­page time, de­liv­er­ing low for Tay­lor-Ran­dle to con­vert from close range and bag a dra­matic point for the vis­i­tors.

Hinck­ley AFC in ac­tion on Satur­day. Pic­ture: Mark Par­sons

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.