Tails you win P
ONYTAILS: The lazy girl’s answer to everyday hairstyling or a glam option for going out-out?
We used to think the former, but then we clapped eyes on the AW17 catwalks and saw the humble hairdo in a whole new light. From polished perfection to crimped and voluminous, these ponies are anything but boring – and they’re easy to do yourself, you just need the right tools and techniques... MIRROR shine and not a hair out of place – that was the brief at Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta in New York (the city that basically invented the term ‘polished glamour’), with Eudon Choi, pictured, and Shrimps following suit in London. Louisa Day, T3 UK brand ambassador, reveals how to get the look:
1. Prepare hair with a heat protector spray, blow-dry, then straighten, focusing most attention on mid-lengths and ends.
2. Using a tail comb, create a sharp centre or side parting. Brush hair into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck, ensuring the crown is flat. Secure with a band.
3. For an extra sleek look, work a small amount of smoothing lotion into the palm of your hands then smooth down flyaways.
YOU WILL NEED: T3 Singlepass Luxe straightener £145, House of Fraser; Moroccanoil heat styling protection £19.35, FeelUnique, feelunique.com; KMS TameFrizz smoothing lotion £17.50, LookFantastic, lookfantastic.com STILL neat, but more relaxed, and a little bit wispy, this ponytail – as seen at Jason Wu (right) and Burberry – is the most versatile of the lot.
“Enhancing your hair’s natural texture will personalise the look, making it unique to you,” says Holli Smith, New York Fashion Week ambassador for Tresemme, as she talks us through the look:
1. Starting with freshly washed, damp hair, apply a small amount of mousse and evenly distribute throughout the hair for control and added texture.
2. Divide the hair into four equal sections and blow-dry, making sure to leave the ends with their natural texture.
3. Create a middle or deep side parting that is not perfect and slightly messy, leaving out a few wisps to frame the face.
4. Brush hair back towards the nape of the neck to create a very low ponytail. Spritz with hairspray before continuing to comb hair back with fingers, minimising the appearance of perfectly brushed hair.
5. With your chin down, secure hair in a very low ponytail with an elastic. Finish by blow-drying out of the ends of the ponytail to elongate and volumise slightly.
NIVEA Body Rich Nourishing Moisturiser launched back in 1963 was the first liquid body lotion designed to care for dry to very dry skin. Now, Nivea is relaunching its body range with a new improved formula that moisturises, soothes and softens skin.
The new formula features a deep moisture serum that penetrates deeper into the upper layers of the epidermis than ever before, so hydration is locked in for 48 hours. Choose from three key products designed to cater for all skin types, RRP £3.99 (250ml) and £5.99 (400ml) at Boots and other leading high street retailers.
YOUR handbag spoke to us and told us it wants one of these adorable Andrea Garland lip balm mirror compacts, £15. Are you really going to deny it? Find them at andreagarland.co.uk
CHROME nails are ideal for party season. Now we won’t lie, Sally Hansen Salon Chrome Nail Kits, £30 at Superdrug, take a bit of work: apply two layers of nail polish, buff in a chrome powder, add a chrome effect top coat and then finish with a clear top coat too.
Luckily the final effect is worth the effort and we love the dramatic colour. WE MAY be in the month of Movember but there’s really no need for women to join in the fundraising beyond making a donation to any participating male friends.
In fact, if you are looking to get rid of any facial fuzz ladies, take a leaf out of Thandie Newton’s book. The Westworld actress, above, posted a photo of herself ‘dealing with the tash’ on Instagram and tagged Jolen Creme Bleach in it.
Well if it is good enough for Thandie... Find it at Boots priced from £4.35.