Oxfam chief quits over sex scandal
wider implications for the rail franchising system.
Lilian Greenwood, chair of the Committee, said: “This failure has drawn criticism from all corners. Lessons need to be learned.” ESME WREN has become the second female editor of Newsnight in the BBC show’s 38-year history.
Currently the head of politics, business and specialist journalism at Sky News, she will replace Ian Katz, who left the BBC in November 2017.
The only other woman to serve as editor of the flagship news programme was Sian Kevill, who held the role from 1998 to 2002. Wren said: “It is a great honour and privilege to be returning to Newsnight to lead this exceptional team.” WORK is under way to remove a 500kg German Second World War bomb which has led to the cancellation of more than 100 flights and caused homes to be evacuated.
Metropolitan Police and Royal Navy experts will try to float the 1.5 metre unexploded shell from its resting place in King George V Dock, east London. And a council is going door-to-door trying to persuade local residents to evacuate their homes until the bomb is moved, but is facing some resistance.
The discovery of the bomb caused the suspension of flights out of the nearby London City Airport, with OXFAM’S deputy chief executive has quit in the wake of the aid worker sex scandal, saying she was “ashamed” of what had happened.
Penny Lawrence said she took full responsibility for what had happened on her watch and was sorry for the “harm and distress” it had caused supporters.
Oxfam has faced intense criticism over its handling of sex allegations, including the use of prostitutes by workers in Haiti in 2011.
Ms Lawrence said: “As programme director at the time, I am ashamed that this happened on my watch and I take full responsibility.”
The resignation comes after claims yesterday the charity was aware of concerns about the conduct of two of the men at the centre of the allegations in Haiti when they worked previously in Chad.
Ms Lawrence said: “Over the last few days we have become aware that concerns were raised about the behaviour of staff in Chad as well as Haiti that we failed to adequately act upon. It is now clear that these allegations – involving the use of prostitutes and which related to behaviour more than 100 departures cancelled yesterday.
Among thousands of passengers affected were Tottenham Hotspur fans heading to Italy for a Champions League game against Juventus.
The north London football club advised any fans flying to Milan to “contact their of both the country director and members of his team in Chad – were raised before he moved to Haiti.”
She added: “I am desperately sorry for the harm and distress that this has caused to Oxfam’s supporters, the wider development sector and most of all the vulnerable people who trusted us.”
Oxfam chiefs were called in for crisis talks with International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt following the claims of sexual misconduct by its staff.
Ms Mordaunt said on Sunday the charity had lied and failed in its “moral leadership” airline as soon as possible”, ahead of tonight’s match in Turin.
Newham Council said it was likely that all residents in the 214-metre exclusion zone will need to be evacuated before removal work starts.
Once work has begun, the exclusion zone could then be extended. by failing to fully disclose details of its investigation into the misconduct to relevant authorities.
The charity received £31.7 million in Government funding in 2016/17, but the support has been put at risk by the scandal.
Charity Commission director of investigations Michelle Russell said the watchdog was not told the full story at the time Oxfam first investigated allegations of misconduct in 2011.
She told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “We’ve made very clear that had the details of what has come out over the last few days been told to us, we would have dealt with this very differently.
“We were categorically told there was no abuse of beneficiaries involved in the allegations.”
Four members of Oxfam staff were dismissed and three, including the country director, Roland van Hauwermeiren, resigned before the end of the 2011 investigation.
Oxfam chief executive Mark Goldring said: “I deeply respect Penny’s decision to accept personal responsibility. Like us, she is appalled at what happened.”