Man choked to death on toast
The grieving parents of a voluntary worker who choked while eating toast say they do not want their son’s death to be in vain.
Matthew Sherwood was at home in Northwood Road, Tankerton, with his mother, Marilyn, when tragedy struck.
Ambulance crews were called after the 40-year-old began choking on May 29 last year.
Paramedics removed two pieces of food lodged in his throat, but they were unable to revive him.
Mrs Sherwood has now told an inquest into her son’s death that she believed medication he was taking for long-term schizophrenia had caused difficulties with his eating.
She said for two years she had been concerned about his swallowing and him having a dry mouth.
“Matthew enjoyed eating out in restaurants and cafes; he enjoyed eating meals,” she said. “But he became very agitated by shaking he developed and had a very dry mouth. I would give him lots of water to have with his meals.”
Matthew had a care plan in place and attended a clinic to assess his wellbeing, but med- ical notes did not record any instances of concerns about his eating problems.
Evidence provided by a chief pharmacist stated medication would have been more likely to make Matthew salivate than leave him with a dry mouth.
Speaking after the hearing, Matthew’s parents said: “We loved him very much. He was very intelligent and loved animals. We don’t want his death to be in vain. We are concerned this could happen again.”
Assistant coroner James Dillon concluded a narrative verdict.