DETECTIVES have charged two more people with the murder of 47-year-old father of three Mark Witherall, who died in hospital on March 8 after he was found with serious injuries outside his home in King Edward Street, Whitstable, on January 27. Carley Firminger, a 19-year-old kitchen assistant, of Sandpiper Road, Whitstable, is accused of murder together with unemployed Mark Robert Elliott, 20, of the same address. He is also accused of conspiracy to commit burglary. They were both due to appear before Canterbury magistrates yesterday. A young man and a 15-year-old boy were remanded in custody by magistrates in Canterbury on Friday last week accused of murdering Mr Witherall. Curtis Delima, an 18-year-old unemployed man, of Regent Street, Whitstable, and a 15-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons, are also accused of conspiracy to commit burglary. They are due to next appear at Maidstone Crown Court on March 30.
A PROTEST demonstration was held at a Kent port handling live animal exports for the first time, above. Sheerness Docks is the destination for hundreds of calves from across the UK. A wreath was handed to security staff at the entrance to the docks at the end of a noisy but peaceful protest march through the town on Saturday. The calves normally go through Dover but the closure of a berth there for a fortnight’s maintenance forced shipping agents to look elsewhere. A spokesman for Sheerness Docks said it was their duty to support a legal trade which was only for a fortnight while the berth was being repaired.
THE Lord Lieutenant of Kent has announced he is standing down as chairman of the Canterbury Cathedral Trust Fund. Allan Willett has taken the decision on medical advice after experiencing heart problems in recent months. Over the past year he has been closely involved in the launch of the £50 million Save Canterbury Cathedral campaign. The campaign has already raised £6 million and Mr Willett said it was a good moment to make way for a younger chairman who could carry it forward in the longer term.
THE trial of 11 people accused of taking part in the £53 million Securitas robbery is to be held back another two months. The 11 had been due to answer charges in mid April. But at a hearing at The Old Bailey, London, on Friday lawyers for some of the defendants said they would not be ready in time. The honourable Mr Justice Penry-Davey agreed to delay the start of the trial until Monday, June 11.