March 23, 1907
March 18, 1932
GLORIA LEWIS looks at what was reported in the Kentish Express 100, 75, 50 and 25 years ago.
Shortly after half-past eight on Wednesday evening a motorcar belonging to Mr. Norfolk, of Kennington, was proceeding to Ashford. When near the Rose Inn at Kennington, a flock of sheep turned out of the side road, and the chauffeur before he was aware of it had unfortunately driven into the flock. The car was not overturned, but five tegs were killed on the spot and seven so badly injured that they had to be slaughtered by Mr. S. Wood, a butcher, residing close to the scene of the accident. We understand that the sheep were the property of Mr. Bassett, of Lydd.
On Sunday morning Mr. Julius Kingsford gave to an audience of 108 men at the Hempsted-street Adult School a most lucid and instruct account of the doings of the Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Children. Mr. Kingsford, being secretary of the local branch of the Society, was able to speak from inside knowledge, and his plain statement of the general statistics and brief outlines of the local operations of the Society were listened to with keen attention.
There is a general feeling in the New Romney district that much credit is due to those gentlemen who have organised the new Boxing and Running Club. One of those who took the initiative in the matter is Mr. Harry Merritt, the popular licensee of the Ship Hotel, whose keen interest in all local sporting and social events is well-known. So far meetings have been held at the Ship, but Mr. Merritt told a representative of the Kentish Express the membership has increased so rapidly that other premises are now necessary. These have now been obtained at the Pavilion and general gymnastic practices will soon be in full swing. When the club is in full working order members hope to give an exhibition to the public. There are, already, several promising young boxers among the members.
March 22, 1957
Secret borings are being made in the shingle west of Dungeness point, but the Kentish Express can reveal they may lead to a nuclear power station being built there. The borings are being made by George Wimpey & Co. Ltd., a London contracting firm, on the land at present owned by the Mayor of Lydd, Ald. G. T. Paine, to test the soil structure beneath the beach to see if it is suitable in every way for an atomic power station. The site is considered to be ideal for such a station with its deep flowing water. It could help the cross-Channel power exchange and is close to the
main grid system.
The Ashford by-pass will be officially opened on Friday, July 19, by the Minister of Transport, Mr. Harold Watkinson. Skirting the north side of Ashford town, the by-pass will be 2.5 miles long, have dual carriageways, each 24 feet wide, and a central dividing strip of varying width. Part of the carriageway will be of concrete and part of flexible pavement. Moves for the Ashford by-pass began over 30 years ago. The scheme is now reaching fruition after delays caused by the war and recurring financial and economic crises. Work has cost about £410,000.
March 19 1982
Ashford steps into the world’s shop window next month. The town will be represented for the first time at the huge Hanover Trade Fair in Germany. As the county’s growth town it will play a vital role when Kent becomes Britain’s first nonGovernment assisted area to go on display there. Kent’s stand will show off its ideal position and facilities for foreign firms seeking a European base. And the borough’s chief executive Ernest Mexter will be on hand in one of 22 massive trade halls to sell Ashford to visitors from as far away as America and Japan.