Teenage lover’s texts ter­rify mar­ried wo­man

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - OPINION -

A TEENAGER em­barked on a ter­ri­fy­ing cam­paign of ha­rass­ment when his mar­ried lover ended their af­fair, a court heard.

Alexan­der Hors­ford, 18, of Speld­hurst Close, Stan­hope, bom­barded Ch­eryl Why­brow with text mes­sages and tele­phone calls, Maid­stone Crown Court heard on Mon­day.

Dur­ing one “un­pleas­ant” in­ci­dent Mrs Why­brow an­swered her tele­phone to hear Hors­ford say­ing to oth­ers: “Let’s pre­tend it’s Ch­eryl and rip its arms and legs off one by one.”

On an­other oc­ca­sion, and just min­utes af­ter be­ing re­leased on bail by the po­lice, he could be heard in a neigh­bour­ing gar­den to Mrs Why­brow’s home on the es­tate threat­en­ing her.

Hors­ford, who still lives just a few yards from Mrs Why­brow, ad­mit­ted an of­fence of ha­rass­ment be­tween July 31 and Septem­ber 9 last year when he ap­peared at an ear­lier hear­ing.

He de­nied a sec­ond charge of wit­ness in­tim­i­da­tion and this was left on file.

Sen­tenc­ing him to nine months in jail, sus­pended for 18 months, Judge Jeremy Carey de­scribed Hors­ford’s be­hav­iour as ob­ses­sional.

He told him: “You caused Mrs Why­brow to be jus­ti­fi­ably very afraid of you by your be­hav­iour. It was in­tim­i­dat­ing, it was ter­ri­fy­ing and you should be ashamed of your­self.”

As part of his sen­tence Hors­ford, who spent 147 days on re­mand, must be su­per­vised by the pro­ba­tion ser­vice for 18 months and un­der­take 100 hours un­paid work.

The teenager was also made sub­ject to a re­strain­ing or­der pre­vent­ing him from con­tact­ing or com­mu­ni­cat­ing with the Why­brows.

Pros­e­cu­tor Ed­mund Birge said Hors­ford and Mrs Why­brow be­gan their af­fair in June last year but it ended two months later when she told her hus­band, Richard.

“She made it very clear she did not wish to have fur­ther con­tact with the de­fen­dant,” said Mr Birge.

How­ever, Hors­ford, the court heard, found that dif­fi­cult to ac­cept and be­gan send­ing her text mes­sages, stat­ing in one that if he couldn’t have her: “Richard couldn’t ei­ther.”

On Au­gust 19, Mrs Why­brow called the po­lice and Hors­ford was told not to con­tact Mrs Why­brow and to keep away from her.

Mr Birge said Hors­ford con­tin­ued send­ing her up to 12 texts a day and stand­ing out­side her house for hours on end.

He said Hors­ford’s be­hav­iour then be­came “slightly more ag­gres­sive and sin­is­ter”, with name-call­ing, at­tempts by him to pro­voke Mr Why­brow into a fight and texts threat­en­ing to get Mrs Why­brow.

Hors­ford was ar­rested on Septem­ber 8 and he told po­lice he had been try­ing to con­tact Mrs Why­brow be­cause he be­lieved she was preg­nant and the baby might be his.

He was re­leased on bail but re­ar­rested later that same evening af­ter mak­ing threats against Mrs Why­brow from a neigh­bour­ing gar­den.

Vic­to­ria Ailes, de­fend­ing, de­scribed Hors­ford as im­ma­ture.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.