Cow­boy gas fit­ters could cost your life

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - FRONT PAGE - by Clare Mul­grew

Pros­e­cu­tion for faulty work leads to warn­ing

HOUSE­HOLD­ERS are be­ing told to watch out for gas in­stall­ers who are op­er­at­ing with­out be­ing reg­is­tered.

The Health and Safety Ex­ec­u­tive is­sued the warn­ing fol­low­ing a num­ber of cases in the Ash­ford area where work­men have car­ried out work on gas ap­pli­ances or fit­tings with­out be­ing reg­is­tered with CORGI (Coun­cil for Reg­is­tered Gas In­stall­ers).

West­ley Maples­den, of St Leonards on Sea, was pros­e­cuted for in­stalling a faulty boiler at the Su­gar­loaf An­i­mal Sanc­tu­ary in Ruckinge.

Owner, Janet Buck­ley got car­bon monox­ide poi­son­ing and needed hospi­tal treat­ment as a re­sult. Maples­den had left the gas in­stal­la­tion with nu­mer­ous faults and was not CORGI reg­is­tered to work on LPG (Liqui­fied Pe­tro­leum Gas) said the Health and Safety Ex­ec­u­tive. He was fined £4,000 when he ap­peared at Maid­stone Crown Court on April 27.

HM Health and Safety in­spec­tor, David Fussell, said: “Ev­ery year about 30 peo­ple die from car­bon monox­ide (CO) poi­son­ing caused by gas ap­pli­ances and flues which have not been prop­erly in­stalled or main­tained.”

He urged peo­ple to check that gas fit­ters have a CORGI photo ID card which should in­clude a reg­is­tra­tion num­ber, trad­ing ti­tle and expiry date. The re­verse of the card de­tails what kind of gas work the in­staller is able to do,” he added.

CO is par­tic­u­larly deadly as it can­not be tasted or smelt and can kill with­out warn­ing in a mat­ter of hours.

Symp­toms can in­clude tired­ness, drowsi­ness, headaches, gid­di­ness, nausea, vom­it­ing, pains in the chest, breath­less­ness, stom­ach pains, er­ratic be­hav­iour and vis­ual prob­lems.

Any­one in doubt over their gas in­staller can ring CORGI on 01256 372300 or log onto www.corgi-gas.com

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.