Fam­ily lucky to es­cape house fire

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - OFF THE RECORD -

FIRE­FIGHT­ERS are high­light­ing the vi­tal im­por­tance of smoke alarms af­ter a blaze at a Stan­hope home. Crews were called shortly be­fore mid­night last Wed­nes­day to a house in Lyn­stead Close and found the kitchen on fire. A cou­ple who had been watch­ing television in the liv­ing room had left a pan on the stove, which caught light to start the fire. The home was not fit­ted with smoke alarms. But the smoke woke their three sleep­ing chil­dren and the fam­ily man­aged to es­cape with­out in­jury, al­though their home was badly dam­aged by fire and smoke. Of­fi­cer in charge at the scene Mark Thomas said: “There are two very im­por­tant mes­sages here. The first is that ev­ery­one must en­sure they fit and reg­u­larly test smoke alarms. “This fam­ily were lucky but the end re­sult of this in­ci­dent could have been far worse. “Work­ing smoke alarms will de­tect and alert peo­ple of a fire very early on. They are in­valu­able and, with­out doubt, save lives. Se­condly, Kent Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice’s free home fire safety check ser­vice means fire­fight­ers will fit, for free, smoke alarms in homes as well as ad­vise home­own­ers on how to keep them­selves and their fam­i­lies safe from fire.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.