Do­err strikes for steely Town

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Football -

ASH­FORD TOWN pro­duced a gutsy dis­play to end the Metropoli­tan Po­lice’s un­beaten start to the sea­son as Andy Do­err struck late-on to col­lect a valu­able three points for the Nuts and Bolts.

The sub­sti­tute struck eight min­utes from time to steal the points af­ter Scott For­rester had ear­lier can­celled out a Ryan Briggs opener. The win takes Town up into the play-off places and just five points be­hind league leaders Kingsto­nian.

Steve Lovell named the same start­ing XI for the fourth match run­ning. With nearly a full-strength side to choose from, as long-term ca­su­alty Mark Lovell be­ing the only ab­sen­tee, man­ager Lovell is beginning to reap the ben­e­fits of hav­ing a set­tled side as Town looked to go four league games un­beaten.

The Im­ber Court en­counter proved to be a tough one as both sides strug­gled to cre­ate many clear-cut chances in the first-half. The danger­ous Met Po­lice striker For­rester shot straight at Jamie Ri­ley in the Town goal af­ter 18 min­utes and Sean Ray headed a Daniel Brath­waite free-kick wide four min­utes later.

For­rester was again in­volved in the clear­est chance of the half. The striker latched on to a weak Ri­ley clear­ance, but the big keeper re­deemed him­self af­ter pulling off a smart save down by his feet.

Ri­ley, clearly get­ting back to his best, pro­duced an­other won­der­ful save just be­fore the in­ter­val again deny­ing a For­rester header with a fan­tas­tic one-handed div­ing save. There was just enough time be­fore the break for Paul Jones to come close to open­ing the scor­ing, but Mo Maan tipped his ef­fort around the post. Hon­ours were even at the break.

The game opened up more in the sec­ond-half and it was the vis­i­tors who took the lead from a rare Briggs goal.

Af­ter a great deal of head ten­nis in the home box, Briggs cap­i­talised by hook­ing a loop­ing shot be­yond Maan and into the far cor­ner.

It was the mid­fielder’s first of the sea­son as Town got their noses in front. How­ever, their lead only lasted nine min­utes and it was For­rester who got the goal he de­served.

Craig Car­ley caused all the prob­lems and af­ter his ini­tial shot was blocked For­rester was on hand to roll the ball into the net from six-yards out. The game was nicely bal­anced go­ing into the fi­nal 30 min­utes.

Be­fore the win­ner Tommy Moorhouse was de­nied for the home side, again by Ri­ley and Bradley Spice couldn’t find the tar­get af­ter a fine run by Mitchell Sher­wood for Town. With 12 min­utes to go Steve Lovell made the decisive change.

Do­err, still on the road to re­cov­ery from a bro­ken leg, re­placed Spice and within four min­utes of his in­tro­duc­tion the striker duly grabbed the win­ner.

The im­pres­sive Rob­bie Ryan de­liv­ered a low free-kick into the feet of Do­err deep in the Po­lice penalty area and in an in­stant, the striker turned his marker and his low, left-footed shot nes­tled in the far cor­ner. An in­spired sub­sti­tu­tion by Lovell was re­warded by an ex­cel­lent fin­ish by Do­err.

Town man­aged to hold on to the hard-fought victory de­spite a late scare when Po­lice mid­fielder Sam Robin­son saw his header roll across the goal-line be­fore Ryan hoofed it to safety.

A vi­tal three points for Town as they stretch their un­beaten run to four league games.

Wye Ju­niors FC U11’s in the new kit spon­sored by Premier Foods, Ash­ford

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.