Ops fail to build on vic­to­ries

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Hockey -

Folke­stone 1sts 1, Hor­sham 3

FOLKE­STONE Op­ti­mists were looking to build on their win at Herne Bay a fort­night ago and a good per­for­mance to Mar­den Rus­sets last week. With the league struc­ture chang­ing, teams now have to fin­ish in the top six places to re­tain their spot in the league. It was there­fore im­por­tant to make a strong start to the sea­son, and the first min­utes of the game started well with good at­tack­ing runs from Stu­art Green and Tom Ames. Hor­sham cap­i­talised from a short cor­ner for the open­ing goal of the game. The Ops just couldn’t score and this was made worse when Hor­sham scored from an­other short cor­ner to trail 2-0 at the in­ter­val. The Ops came back af­ter half-time with re­newed vigour re­sult­ing in Phil Tap­p­ley dig­ging the ball up and over a de­fender’s stick and manag­ing to beat the keeper with a pow­er­ful strike, to make it 2-1. In the clos­ing mo­ments of the game, with Ops push­ing for an equaliser, Hor­sham out­num­bered them at the back and with goalie Dan Payne an­tic­i­pat­ing a pass, were left with an open goal. With the loss this week it makes next week’s game against BBHC all the more im­por­tant as at the mo­ment The Ops lie 9th in the league.

Folke­stone Op­ti­mist Men’s 3rds recorded their first win of the Kent Open Premier A sea­son with a 3-2 suc­cess against rock-bot­tom Sevenoaks Shad­ows. Both sides cre­ated chances be­fore the vis­i­tors opened the scor­ing five min­utes be­fore the in­ter­val. David Vre­ony equalised fol­low­ing a su­perb pass­ing move, Ire­land made it 2-1 fol­low­ing a pass by Micah Smithard, and af­ter Ire­land’s ini­tial penalty cor­ner ef­fort was saved, Ma­jor was on hand to smash home the re­bound to make it 3-1. Sevenoaks ral­lied to pull a goal back in the fi­nal min­utes, but the home side man­aged to see the game out to claim three points.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.