Fireworks used to blow up post box
FIREWORK vandals have blown up a postbox in South Ashford, destroying some of the mail inside it.
Cllr Brendan Naughton was among the first on the scene at the Jemmett Road junction with Rising Road at about 4.30pm on Saturday as he cycled home.
Fireworks had been dropped into the postbox and the explosion blew off the door, setting fire to the post inside.
He said: “Residents came out with kettles of water to put the fire out but some of the mail was destroyed.
“It was a total act of social irresponsibility and the sale of fireworks to youths should be banned.”
Ashford police spokesman Rosy Alexander said: “Fireworks are not toys and should always be taken seriously. This could have been very serious but luckily nobody was injured.
“There have been other reports of disturbance with fireworks in the Victoria Park area and we are following up witness reports that young people in a silver Corsa car could help our inquiries.”
The vandalised post box in Jemmett Road, South Ashford