Star Paul O’Grady bitten by an adder
A TWO-FOOT long adder has bitten the arm of chat show host Paul O’Grady at his Aldington farm.
The popular television chat show host was moving logs for the fire when he disturbed a snake on Sunday. It bit him on the right arm drawing blood and causing two puncture marks. Mr O’Grady swept the snake away with a broom.
The 53-year-old Liverpudlian phoned medics who told him the adder’s venom held little risk and he did not need medical attention.
Paul O’Grady detailed what happened on his Monday afternoon television show.
The comedian, who was made an MBE in the Queen’s birthday honours list earlier this year, has often praised staff at the William Harvey hospital for saving his life when he was rushed there after suffering a heart attack in July 2006.
Writing on his blog, Lee Brady, chairman of the Kent Reptile and Amphibian Group (KRAG) volunteered to visit O’Grady’s home to look for the snake.
The local expert said: “While I can fully understand Paul’s reaction of sweeping the snake from his home (apparently unhurt I must stress), I do fear for the poor animal’s welfare.
“The adder was obviously in hibernation and is now likely to suffer during this bout of very cold weather.”
According to the Forestry Commission the adder is the only poisonous snake native to Britain.
Adders have the most highly developed poison injecting mechanism of all snakes, but they are not aggressive animals and will only bite as a last means of defence, usually if caught or trodden on.
No one has died from an adder bite in Britain for more than 20 years.
With proper treatment, the worst effects are nausea and drowsiness, followed by severe swelling and bruising in the area of the bite.
KRAG says adders are found across Kent and have a close association with the county’s calciferous grassland.
Paul O’Grady was bitten by a snake he disturbed while moving logs