Stones in sev­enth heaven

STAY­ING POWER: Vis­i­tors sur­vive late on­slaught to be­come only the sec­ond team to win at Charl­ton Park

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Classified -

FOLKE­STONE notched their sev­enth con­sec­u­tive victory on Satur­day, de­fend­ing stoutly to hold off Charl­ton Park in Lon­don 4 South East

Charl­ton Park is a hard place to earn a victory – the only team to have won there pre­vi­ously this sea­son were ru­n­away leaders Ton­bridge Jud­dian.

Folke­stone’s victory was even more com­mend­able given the fact that sev­eral nor­mal starters with­drew from the squad be­cause of flu.

Pat Smith, Lee Jenk­ins, Pawel Mar­tyniuk and Will Turner stepped up from the academy squad.

Smith and Mar­tyniuk started and Jenk­ins came on early in the first half when hooker Will Massey came off with a knee in­jury.

Mat Roots took sev­eral crash balls deep into home ter­ri­tory and from one of his drives, Folke­stone earned a penalty which Sey­han Fell con­verted.

Folke­stone went fur­ther ahead when Park cleared their 22 by kick­ing down­field.

The ball dropped into the hands of Fell, who took off down the left wing and kicked over the first de­fender and caught the ball on the bounce. He was well tack­led but off­loaded to Dan Sangiuseppe who dived over to give Folke­stone an 8-0 lead.

Charl­ton Park came back strongly in the sec­ond half and scored a de­served try to set up a pul­sat­ing fi­nal half hour. But Folke­stone man­aged to sur­vive the fi­nal on­slaught. FOLKE­STONE 3rds scored an 18-10 victory over Can­ter­bury.

Folke­stone fielded a mixed side, hav­ing to use two play­ers from the 2nd XV, one from the 4ths, and a prop who had never played in the front row be­fore and so they took a lit­tle time to set­tle.

But they took the lead through a well-struck penalty by Martin Mur­ray and then a loose maul de­vel­oped right on the Can­ter­bury line and Adam Bloom­field emerged with the ball tucked un­der his arm to claim Folke­stone’s first try.

Mur­ray missed the dif­fi­cult con­ver­sion and Can­ter­bury then re­duced the deficit with a penalty. Luke Simp­son, who put in some good de­fen­sive work for Folke­stone, added their sec­ond try af­ter sprint­ing 70 me­tres to score un­der the posts.

Mur­ray con­verted and Folke­stone looked comfortable at 13-3 in front.

Can­ter­bury had other ideas, how­ever, and, af­ter winning a se­ries of penal­ties, they crossed for a con­verted try.

But Mur­ray then added an­other penalty to put the game be­yond Can­ter­bury’s reach. FOLKE­STONE un­der-15s lost a hard-fought game with Thanet Wan­der­ers 19-17.

Thanet opened the scor­ing with two tries, one con­verted, to lead 12-0 but Folke­stone hit back to go in level 12-12 at the in­ter­val thanks to tries from Bar­ton and Bloom­field, with one con­verted.

Both sides con­tin­ued to look to run the ball in the sec­ond half, and it was Folke­stone who scored first when player of the match Way burst through to touch down un­der the posts to lead 17-12.

But Thanet had the last word by scor­ing a late con­verted try to snatch victory.

Folke­stone have Charl­ton Park de­fend­ing in num­bers dur­ing this at­tack on Satur­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.