A look back at the wonder of Woolies
IF the Woolworths store in Ashford High Street does actually close it will be a sad day for many readers. The store is one of the town centre’s biggest and occupies a prime site at the heart of things. Like its counterparts elsewhere in the country – all 800 of them – Woolworths has been a main feature of Ashford high street for decades. In Ashford’s case it is believed the store opened around 1930, although no one is exactly sure. Woolworths, with its distinctive F. W. Woolworth & Co Ltd sign, took over premises previously occupied by Herbert Burnage, a shop which sold televisions and radios. The premises were extended as our photograph of the frontage with the steel girders shows. The two other pictures show the shop in 1951 and again in 1984.