Four flee as hot oil starts blaze

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Front Page -

NEVER leave cook­ing unat­tended. That’s the warn­ing from Ash­ford fire­fight­ers af­ter four peo­ple es­caped a po­ten­tially se­ri­ous fire at their home.

Red Watch fire­fight­ers were called to Som­er­set Road, Ash­ford, shortly af­ter 5pm on Mon­day af­ter a res­i­dent left hot oil unat­tended in his kitchen.

By the time two crews from Ash- ford ar­rived, four peo­ple had man­aged to es­cape the ter­raced prop­erty, but the fire had spread from the pan to an ex­trac­tor unit and some nearby cup­boards, threat­en­ing to en­gulf the kitchen.

Watch man­ager Mark Thomas said: “There were no smoke alarms that worked in the prop­erty, so we pro­vided some and did a leaflet drop to nearby homes, but it is a re­minder that you should never leave cook­ing unat­tended.”

Kent Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice of­fers free Home Safety Vis­its, where fire­fight­ers can ad­vise home­own­ers on fire safety and fit, where nec­es­sary, free smoke alarms. You can also go to www.kent.fire-uk.org for fur­ther ad­vice.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.