Pensioners left in the cold after power goes out for 24 hours
A COUPLE in their 70s shivered for 24 hours when their electricity was cut off.
Their home was among 33 in Ashford’s Magazine Road area cut off after a cable fault.
William and Avril Lishman had to put on extra layers of clothing and huddle around a gas fire as temperatures plummeted to as low as 1C.
Mr Lisham, 72, said: “The loss of power meant the pump for our central heating couldn’t work.
“We have an electric cooker so we had to drive to the nearest fish and chip shop for our dinner.
“We were virtually in the dark with only torches and candles.”
Mr Lisham and his wife, aged 70, lost power just before 9.30pm on Wednesday last week, and it was restored after 9.30pm next day.
Temperatures turned bitterly cold during that time.
EDF Energy said a fault on an underground cable interrupted supplies to the Magazine Road area.
For safety, engineers had to isolate supplies of 33 customers for repairs.
They worked through the next day, restoring power to 14 customers by 2.10pm and the rest by 9.35pm.