Fire crews res­cue el­derly man from his blaz­ing flat

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Front Page - by Sam Len­non slen­non@thek­m­group.co.uk

A PEN­SIONER was saved by fire­fight­ers from his blaz­ing flat.

Brave crew mem­bers charged into his flat in Ash­ford with­out wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus and car­ried him to safety.

The vic­tim, in his 60s, was taken to hos­pi­tal suf­fer­ing se­vere burns.

Neigh­bour­ing flats from the shel­tered ac­com­mo­da­tion com­plex were also evac­u­ated and 10 other pen­sion­ers had to flee their homes.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice said: “Fire crews car­ried out what is called a snatch res­cue, in which they went straight in to pick the man up.

“They were not wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus but col­leagues who fought the blaze were.”

Fire­fight­ers were called to a shel­tered ac­com­mo­da­tion com­plex at East­ern Av­enue just be­fore 7.20pm on Mon­day.

Crews res­cued the man in the lounge area of his flat and col­leagues, wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus, stopped the fire spread­ing fur­ther.

Four fire en­gines, from Ash- ford, Ald­ing­ton and Char­ing, were called to the in­ci­dent.

The blaze is be­lieved to have been caused by a dis­carded cig­a­rette.

Pic­ture: Gary Browne PD1704601

A 60-year-old man was res­cued from a fire in a flat in East­ern Av­enue

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.