Birth­day can­dle started fire

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Front Page -

A CAN­DLE from a birth­day cake is thought to have caused a bed­room fire in Ash­ford.

Fire­fight­ers be­lieve the can­dle was ac­ci­den­tally dropped on a bed, caus­ing the bed­room to catch light.

Fire­fight­ers have is­sued safety warn­ings af­ter a sim­i­lar blaze in a home near Maid­stone on the same day.

The fire from the birth­day can­dle was at Lower Den­mark Road, Ash­ford, at 10.35am on Bank Hol­i­day Mon­day .

The oc­cu­pants, a man,” woman and child, got out un­harmed and crews stopped the blaze spread­ing be­yond the bed­room.

But Ash­ford fire sta­tion man­ager Lee Rose said: “The in­ci­dent high­lights the need to take par­tic­u­lar care with can­dles in home, es­pe­cially around cel­e­bra­tions, and to make sure they are fully ex­tin­guished.”

On that same day a small bed­room fire hap­pened in Hun­ton, near Maid­stone, af­ter a tealight melted on a TV set.

Kent Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice has is­sued safety ad­vice for both can­dles and tealights, urg­ing peo­ple to fit them on hold­ers and place them on non-flammable sur­faces and not to leave burn­ing can­dles and tealights unat­tended.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.