Boiled eggs prompt fire crew call-out

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Front Page -

A pen­sioner had to be res­cued by fire­fight­ers af­ter his boiled eggs set off a fire alarm.

Two fire en­gines from Ash­ford and Char­ing were called to shel­tered hous­ing at Pett Lane, Char­ing, at half past midnight on Tues­day.

Fire­fight­ers wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus en­tered and found his apart­ment filled with smoke and an ‘un­pleas­ant smell’ af­ter eggs left in a pan had boiled dry and started smok­ing.

Crews dis­cov­ered a man aged in his 60s in his room, and led him to safety.

He was given first aid and oxy­gen, be­fore be­ing taken to the Wil­liam Harvey Hos­pi­tal for smoke in­hala­tion.

It’s the lat­est in a string of fires in re­cent months con­nected to unat­tended food catch­ing alight while be­ing cooked.

Last week we re­ported how Ash­ford fire­fight­ers were called to a smoke-logged house in Cornes Close, Willes­bor­ough, in the early hours af­ter sausages be­ing fried caught alight.

And, back in April we re­ported how fire­fight­ers were called to a home in Oak Tree Road, South Ash­ford, af­ter the cheese on toast of a woman in her 50s caught fire un­der the grill, when she left the kitchen to go and talk to a neigh­bour. Sshe di­alled 999 when a smoke alarm went off.

For ad­vice on fire safety, visit www.3breaths.info or call 0800 9237000.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.