Coroner says lo­ca­tion shows this was no cry for help Debt and men­tal ill­ness led man to hang him­self

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - It’s Just Not Cricket - By Sam Len­non

slen­non@thek­m­ A man who built up more than £23,000 in debts hanged him­self de­spite suc­cess­fully tak­ing ac­tion to set­tle his bills.

David Martin con­tin­ued to be plagued by men­tal health prob­lems and com­mit­ted sui­cide at his own lock-up garage in Ald­ing­ton, an in­quest heard last week.

De­tec­tive sergeant Stu­art Ward told the hear­ing that Mr Martin had amassed Bar­clay­card, Royal Bank of Scot­land and other credit card debts adding up to £23,625.

But he had taken up an IVA (in­di­vid­ual vol­un­tary agree­ment), a re­pay­ment pro­posal to cred­i­tors to avoid bankruptcy.

Cen­tral and south-east Kent coroner recorded a nar­ra­tive ver­dict that Mr Martin had taken his own life while suf­fer­ing from men­tal ill­ness.

The in­quest heard that the trip to the lock-up from Mr Martin’s Ash­ford home would have in­volved a jour­ney by car.

Mrs Red­man said; “He took him­self far away where he was not able to be found for sev­eral hours.

“He didn’t want it to be a cry for help. He did want to end his life, and there was a back­ground of men­tal ill­ness.”

Mr Martin, 37, of Au­gusta Walk, Ash­ford, was found dead by girl­friend Trudi Day at the lock-up in Ald­ing­ton last Fe­bru­ary.

Po­lice were called out at 11.05 that morn­ing.

DS Ward said that on the pre­vi­ous evening Mr Martin had stayed with Ms Day in Ash­ford but left, say­ing “I can’t do this” and leav­ing his mo­bile phone be­hind.

Ms Day went look­ing for her boyfriend, and turned up at the lock-up. His car was in the garage, and she found him hang­ing from a lad­der.

The in­quest, at Folke­stone Mag­is­trates Court on Wedne­day last week heard that po­lice ruled out any third party in­volve­ment in the death, and that they con­cluded Mr Martin had taken his own life.

A GP’s re­port said Mr Martin had at­tended a men­tal health clinic last De­cem­ber but failed to at­tend the fol­low-up ap­poin­ment the next month.

Mr Martin was said to have planned sui­cide be­fore, and to have had a sense of aban­don­ment.

His fa­ther, Stu­art Martin, said he and the fam­ily were aware his son had men­tal health is­sues, but added: “We never re­alised how bad it was.”

Mr Martin Sr said that his son no longer wanted con­tact with the fam­ily, and they re­spected that with­out real­is­ing how trou­bled be was.

The tragedy was re­ported by the Ken­tish Ex­press at the time. The lo­ca­tion of the lock-up was given as be­hind T&L Coop­ers butch­ers off Ro­man Road.

Pic­ture: Gary Browne FM2459559

T&L Coop­ers butch­ers, Ald­ing­ton, be­hind which was Mr Martin’s lock up

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.