Original hospital too small to cope
Work on the William Harvey Hospital started in 1973. It was commissioned in 1977 and opened in 1979.
It replaced the former Ashford Hospital in Kings Avenue that had been running since 1928, which was thought too small to cope with the people relocating to the area.
As of March 2012, the hospital employed around 2,500 people and had 476 beds.
It provides a range of emergency and elective services as well as maternity, trauma, orthopaedic and paediatric and neonatal intensive care services.
The hospital was named after the famous physician, William Harvey, who was born in Folkestone on April 1, 1578, in Church Street, and died on June 3, 1657 at the age of 79.
The scientist is best known for discovering how blood circulates around the body, and the hospital was named after him to honour this.
There is a statue in Folkestone of William Harvey and each year around the anniversary of his death a commemorative service is held in the town.
There is also a pub in Willesborough named after the scientist. East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest hospital trusts in England, serving a local population of around 759,000 people.
Their website states: “Our motto is ‘putting patients first’ and everything we do is guided by our vision and values.
“We have a national and international reputation for delivering high-quality specialist care, particularly in cancer, kidney disease, stroke and vascular services.”
The Trust adds: “Our vision is to be known as one of the top ten hospital trusts in England and the Kent hospital of choice for patients and those close to them.
“Our mission is to provide safe, patient-focused and sustainable health services with and for the people of Kent. In achieving this we acknowledge our special responsibility for the most vulnerable members of the population we serve.” The Trust’s values include: People feel cared for as individuals
People feel safe, reassured and involved
People feel confident we are making a difference
The statue of William Harvey and the site of the old Ashford Hospital