Mil­lion­aire land­lord loses fight against con­vic­tion for at­tack­ing agent

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Heavyweight Defeated -

Fight­ing Fer­gus Wil­son has been KO’d for the sec­ond time in a court­room scrap but is still de­mand­ing a re-match.

The for­mer boxer lost on points when mag­is­trates con­victed him of as­sault­ing es­tate agent Dan Wells ear­lier this year. Now he has lost again at Can­ter­bury Crown Court af­ter ap­peal­ing against the com­mon as­sault con­vic­tion and sen­tence.

But within min­utes of his de­feat, the 22-stone prop­erty ty­coon of­fered to put up a £10,000 purse if 31-year-old Mr Wells went one round in a bare knuckle fight.

The mul­ti­mil­lion­aire 65-year-old, from Long Lane, Boughton Monchelsea, who, to­gether with his wife Ju­dith, owns hun­dreds of homes in Ash­ford, Folke­stone and Maid­stone, was left fu­ri­ous af­ter his ri­val claimed af­ter the first case that Mr Wil­son “punches like a girl”.

He said: “I only have one arm but I am pre­pared to put up the cash if he goes one round with me.”

But the es­tate agent, who at­tended the ap­peal hear­ing, laughed off the new chal­lenge, say­ing: “I am younger and fit­ter. He wouldn’t last the round.

“He should just give me the 10 grand now and be done with it!”

A judge and two mag­is­trates lis­tened to Mr Wil­son con­duct his own de­fence dur­ing the four-day hear­ing at Can­ter­bury Crown Court.

Half­way through the case, the for­mer pugilist had tried to claim a “tech­ni­cal knock out” ask­ing for the case to be thrown out – but the three “judges” re­jected it.

It took less than 15 min­utes at the end of the con­test be­fore Judge Nigel Van Der Bijl and the mag­is­trates dis­missed the ap­peal say­ing they be­lieved the land­lord had punched his vic­tim.

The judge said that they be­lieved the ev­i­dence of wit­ness Katie Pick­ing, who had sat op­po­site Mr Wells dur­ing the at­tack, but said the telling ex­pres­sion “right you lit­tle sh*t”, which he had ut­tered af­ter storm­ing into the of­fice to con­front his vic­tim, con­vinced them Wil­son had thrown the punch.

The busi­ness­man had been fined £500 by mag­is­trates, who or­dered him to pay £150 com­pen­sa­tion and £1,000 costs and a vic­tim sur­charge.

The judge and panel de­cided not to al­ter the sen­tence but or­dered him to pay another £750 ap­peal court costs within six months.

Af­ter the hear­ing, Mr Wil­son said: “I feel very un­happy with the ver­dict and will now con­sult my lawyers about where I go with this.

“But I am not very happy with how this case has been han­dled by some in the po­lice force.

“Mine and my wife’s re­la­tion­ship with PLS ended a while ago. We were not very happy with a num­ber of things that had gone on.”

Daniel Wells at his desk where he was at­tacked

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.