Armed po­lice search train

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Death Shocks Village -

IT con­sul­tant Stu­art An­drews was ar­rested af­ter a mas­sive man­hunt that saw armed po­lice storm a train in Gilling­ham.

Com­muters said as many as 30 of­fi­cers car­ry­ing guns boarded the Lon­don-bound ser­vice as it pulled into Gilling­ham sta­tion shortly af­ter 9pm on Thurs­day.

At least one armed re­sponse team was dis­patched and a po­lice he­li­copter was spot­ted fly­ing low over sev­eral towns.

Rail­way worker Wes­ley Tabi, from the Isle of Shep­pey, was on his way to a night shift in Lon­don when the train was stopped.

He said: “We pulled into Gilling­ham and the doors opened briefly, but then they shut and the con­duc­tor said there was go­ing to be a bit of a de­lay.

“Then sud­denly a load of ‘old bill’ flooded the sta­tion. There must have been 30 of them with their ma­chine guns. It was like SWAT.

“They started walk­ing up and down the train and there were some on the plat­form with dogs.

“I read on­line that a man was miss­ing, but they were look­ing un­der the seats, in bins, ev­ery­where.

“I asked if they were look­ing for a firearm or ex­plo­sive, but they wouldn’t say.

“I heard some­one say they might have to take the train back to the de­pot to do a foren­sic search on it.”

Mr Tabi, who works for Trans­port for Lon­don, says pas­sen­gers on the train be­gan to get frus­trated as the de­lays con­tin­ued.

Po­lice con­firmed yes­ter­day (Wed­nes­day) that Stu­art An­drews had been dis­charged from hos­pi­tal on Tues­day night and im­me­di­ately taken into cus­tody.

As the Ken­tish Ex­press went to press yes­ter­day (Wed­nes­day), Mr An­drews had not been charged with any­thing and re­mained in po­lice cus­tody.

He was ar­rested in Lon­don last Fri­day on sus­pi­cion of the mur­der of his wife, Caro­line.

Mr An­drews had been taken to an uniden­ti­fied hos­pi­tal for treat­ment for self-in­flicted in­juries.

Po­lice had re­fused to give any de­tails about the cir­cum­stances of Mrs An­drews’ death.

The ex­act cause of Mrs An­drews’ death has not yet been of­fi­cially con­firmed. An in­quest is ex­pected to open shortly.

Armed po­lice search­ing a com­muter train

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.