Loco set sights on an­other fi­nal

Bod­kin Chal­lenge Cup

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Football -

AFC Lo­co­mo­tive marched into the semi-fi­nals of the Bod­kin Cup beat­ing fel­low Premier Divi­sion side Mer­sham Sports 3-0 at a blus­tery Pitch­side.

Play­ing against the wind, Loco went 1-0 ahead mid­way through the first-half when Adam Roberts headed home his first goal of the sea­son from man-of-the-match Lloyd De­hara’s cross.

Mer­sham pushed the hosts all of the way, en­joy­ing plenty of pos­ses­sion.

Loco goal­keeper Ben Stevens had to be alert to push one ef­fort onto the bar and quickly got back to his feet to push away the re­bound to keep the score 1-0 at half-time.

With the wind now on their side, Lo­co­mo­tive dou­bled through Tom Scorer with a long-range ef­fort.

A dou­ble in­jury blow saw Loco re­duced to 10 men and out of subs, hav­ing to play out the fi­nal 20 min­utes a man light but that didn’t stop them from grab­bing a third goal to seal the win when Steve Har­ris scored from the penalty spot af­ter Scorer had been brought down.

Lo­co­mo­tive now face Stan­hope Rangers in the last four hop­ing for a fourth cup fi­nal in three sea­sons. through the first-half when Ben Harding’s pass found for­mer Ash­ford Cava­liers striker Matt Moon, who slot­ted home his 20th goal of the sea­son.

Moon then turned provider in the se­cond half, play­ing in top scorer Luke Bur­don to dou­ble the vis­i­tors’ ad­van­tage. Char­ing pulled a goal back through Richard Floyd.

Willes­bor­ough, who won the Divi­sion 2 ti­tle last sea­son, will be crowned cham­pi­ons if they can win four of their fi­nal five fix­tures and look odds-on for pro­mo­tion to the Premier Divi­sion even in early Fe­bru­ary. side to move back up to third.

Wilkes, for­merly on the books at both Ken­ning­ton and Brom­ley Green, dou­bled his goal tally for the sea­son with a tre­ble as the Millers’ se­cond string con­tinue to push Prince Al­bert and Lol­zors in the ti­tle race.

Willes­bor­ough found them­selves 2-0 ahead in­side the open­ing five min­utes when both Matt Jarvis and Kieran Hawkins found the back of the net and went 3-0 up be­fore half-time thanks to Barry Brown.

Fox made it 3-1 af­ter 55 min­utes when Ash­ley Long scored his first goal for the club. Willes­bor­ough quickly re­stored their three-goal ad­van­tage when Wilkes grabbed his first goal.

Adam Ready pulled an­other goal back for Fox from a long-range free­kick and just when it looked like the Fox might just have got them­selves back into the game, Willes­bor­ough’s trio of sub­sti­tu­tions added some fresh legs to their at­tack as three late goals sealed a de­served vic­tory.

Wilkes scored his se­cond and Willes­bor­ough’s fifth be­fore sub­sti­tute Reece Cal­la­hane fired home a sixth to all but seal the win. All that was left was for Wilkes to claim his hat-trick with a tap-in.

Pic­ture: Paul Amos FM4206957


Re­serves close ranks to try and stop the progress of Shep­pey

United Re­serves in the Les Leckie Cup on Satur­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.