The care they need in­de­pen­dence

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - Care in Kent -

Shel­tered hous­ing is spe­cially de­signed for older peo­ple and there are many dif­fer­ent types of schemes. Some will have a scheme man­ager or war­den liv­ing on or off­site. All should pro­vide 24-hour emer­gency help through an alarm sys­tem.

Shel­tered hous­ing is ap­peal­ing to those who wish to re­main in­de­pen­dent, but in a smaller and eas­ier-to-man­age home. There is the added re­as­sur­ance of an emer­gency alarm or re­spon­si­ble per­son to turn to for help.

Ac­com­mo­da­tion is usu­ally self-con­tained, with com­mu­nal ar­eas like the lounge, laun­dry room and gar­den. Many schemes run so­cial events for res­i­dents.

Rented shel­tered hous­ing may be avail­able through lo­cal au­thor­i­ties and hous­ing as­so­ci­a­tions. Care homes pro­vide more per­sonal care. They some­times of­fer nurs­ing care too. There is staffing around the clock with all meals pro­vided. Mov­ing to a care home may seem a huge step. The ben­e­fits are a safe and com­fort­able place to live and mak­ing new friends.

If the lo­cal au­thor­ity con­sid­ers that sup­port is needed and can pro­vide the ser­vice, it may also carry out an as­sess­ment of a per­son’s fi­nances.

This as­sess­ment will de­ter­mine whether the lo­cal au­thor­ity will meet all the cost of the care, or whether the per­son or their fam­ily will need to con­trib­ute to­wards the care cost or whether they will have to pay the full costs. Per­sonal care work­ers and as­sis­tants are peo­ple who come into your home and help with your own per­sonal care or ev­ery­day house­hold tasks. This ser­vice can of­ten help you be­come more in­de­pen­dent in your daily life.

Or you may just need some­one to visit you. Lone­li­ness of­ten makes stay­ing at home more dif­fi­cult.

For more per­sonal care, such as help with bathing or us­ing the toi­let, there are dif­fer­ent sorts of care work­ers and per­sonal as­sis­tants.

You can find out what sort of care work­ers are avail­able in your area from Kent County Coun­cil’s care direc­tory.

For more on so­cial care help from Kent County Coun­cil, call 03000 416161 or email so­cial.ser­

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.