Medicines led to fatal reaction
An Ashford father died following a fatal reaction between the cocktail of medication he had been prescribed, an inquest heard.
Victor Edgar, 52, who lived in the High Street, took a number of prescription drugs for various health problems.
Carlisle-born Mr Edgar had been on a concoction of prescribed anti-depressants and pain relief for abdominal problems for a number of years.
But assistant coroner Christine Freedman said his death had been caused by the very drugs he had relied on.
At the inquest held at Folkestone Magistrates Court last Wednesday, Miss Freedman said: “Mr Edgar did have a number of problems over a number of years and he was prescribed a range of drugs both for his mental health problems and his physical problems.
“He did sometimes take his prescribed drugs a little too frequently but that seemed to be improving.”
Toxicology reports detected therapeutic levels of codeine, morphine, amitriptyline, paracetemol and oxycodin in Mr Edgar’s blood.
The pathologist’s report said the cause of death was ‘most likely’ to be due to multiple drug interactions.
Mrs Freedman added: “I’m going to conclude that he suffered a sudden cardiac event probably due to the interaction of the various drugs that he was prescribed.
“It was an accidental consequence of the repercussions for drugs that he required.”