Village Indian is closed until further notice
A popular Indian restaurant suffered extensive damage in a huge blaze and will be closed “until further notice”.
Fire crews spent almost five hours tackling the fire at the Joshan of Wye restaurant last Wednesday from about 2.30pm.
Six fire engines raced to the high street and teams used a fog spike and compressed air foam system to get the “well developed” fire at the two-storey building under control. No one was injured, but the building suffered substantial damage.
Police officers attended to help the fire service and there were road closures in place.
Reporter at the scene Aidan Barlow said: “There was a crowd of people watching from behind the cordon, probably about 30 to 40.
“I saw at least six fire engines and the whole village was at a standstill. There were two police cars diverting traffic.
“Firefighters were on the roof taking tiles off and throwing them on the ground to get a jet in.”
The fire is believed to have started in the roof of the restaurant at the back of the building.
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Swift actions by crews on the scene using a cold-cutting fire-fighting system significantly reduced the extent of the blaze, preventing the fire from spreading to adjacent commercial buildings.
“The kitchen of the restaurant has been severely damaged by the fire and one of the flats above the premises and the roof of the property were also damaged.”
Geoff Jones, 74, from Willesborough, had been visiting Wye churchyard with his seven-yearold grandson Stanley Hance when the fire broke out.
Mr Jones said: “We were going to take some pictures of where my parents were buried, but we saw the smoke and I said we better get the drone out to have a look at what’s going on.
“We were there before any of the emergency vehicles were and saw how quickly it spread.
“The damage looks really bad, especially in the back.
“I do feel sorry for the owners and hope they get it sorted quickly.”