Country park lake sealed off due to deadly algae
Blooms will eventually clear up on their own
A lake has been sealed off after an organism that can kill animals and trigger skin rashes in humans was found growing in the water.
The main lake at Conningbrook Lake Country Park has been closed to the public following the discovery of bluegreen algae, which was found to be responsible for the deaths of three dogs in Dartford last month.
Ashford Borough Council (ABC) said the Environment Agency had carried out tests and advised the lake be shut, although the country park it is located in remains open.
Kent Wildlife Trust has also moved the cattle at Conningbrook, as they sometimes stand in the water, as a precautionary measure.
Cllr Jessamy Blanford, ABC’s portfolio holder for leisure said: “The public should be reassured that we have acted as quickly as possible. It is disappointing that the lake has had to close but we must act on the advice given to us”
Visitors have been warned not to go in or take part in any activity on the lake and to keep dogs on leads.
Humans may develop a skin rash if they come into contact with the algae and become very unwell if they ingested it in large quantities. It is very harmful to animals.
The algae blooms, which can be triggered by a number of factors, are a naturally occurring
What do you think? Write to Kentish Express, 34-36 North Street, Ashford, TN24 8JR or email email@example.com
Blue-green algae, which can be fatal to animals, has been found growing in the water at Conningbrook Lake country Park