Responding to Mr Legge’s claims an Ashford Borough Council spokesperson said: “After the incident council staff arrived on the scene swiftly to assist those affected by setting up an emergency welfare centre, arranging overnight accommodation and ensuring the damaged block was secured that evening.
“The explosion and subsequent action by Kent Fire and Rescue Service inevitably caused fire, smoke and water damage to personal possessions. We strongly recommend to all our tenants to take up contents insurance for their personal possessions.
“Staff went above and beyond their duties to provide extra care to tenants, arranging a cash payment to help them meet initial expenses, working with them to remove and store as many items that could be salvaged and rehousing tenants as soon as possible.
“We also praised the local community in their fundraising efforts and donations in the following days and weeks. Sadly incidents such as these can happen and can affect anyone but we feel the council and the community pulled together to support those in need, reflected in the positive feedback we received from many of the affected tenants.”