Warn­ing over elec­tric hobs af­ter blaze

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - School Report -

Fire­fight­ers are warn­ing res­i­dents to take ex­tra care with elec­tric hobs af­ter a kitchen fire in Ash­ford.

A res­i­dent was just about to leave her home in Blue­bell Road, Kingsnorth, when she spot­ted smoke com­ing from the kitchen on the af­ter­noon of Wed­nes­day last week.

She dis­cov­ered a small fire in­volv­ing some cloth­ing that she had placed on her hob while do­ing some laun­dry.

It ap­pears that the hob had ac­ci­den­tally been switched on, set­ting light to the clothes.

The woman was able to put out the fire and when fire crews ar­rived, they used a spe­cial fan to clear smoke from the prop­erty.

Watch man­ager Mark Thomas said: “For­tu­nately, the fire was dis­cov­ered be­fore it was able to spread and there­fore the dam­age was min­i­mal.

“How­ever, the in­ci­dent highlights how eas­ily a fire can break out and the need for peo­ple to take ex­tra care around elec­tric hobs.

“We reg­u­larly at­tend calls where items have caught fire af­ter be­ing placed on hobs as they tend to get used as ex­tra work sur­faces and they ei­ther get left on or are switched on ac­ci­den­tally.

“Such fires can be avoided by mak­ing sure you turn your hob off at the mains switch af­ter use.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.