Chip shop still shut after blaze
A popular chip shop is still closed nearly four weeks after a fire badly damaged the building.
Firefighters were called to the Singleton Fish Bar in the Singleton Centre, off Hoxton Close, just before 3.30pm on Sunday, March 12.
Crews discovered smoke coming from the premises, with the ground floor of the two-storey property well alight. It has been left severely damaged.
Firefighters with breathing apparatus tackled the blaze with a main jet and two high-pressure hose reel jets by 5pm.
The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. Two men were treated by paramedics as a precaution for the effects of breathing in smoke, but were not seriously hurt.
The fish bar shutters have been down since the incident. A sign on the building, which has since been removed, said: “We are closed due to the fire. We are hoping to open soon. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.”
The KE has tried to contact the shop for comment but has received no reponse. It is not known when the shop will reopen.
Singleton Fish Bar is still shut