Mum wor­ried over fire safety in block of flats

Kentish Express Ashford & District - - News -

A mum says she fears for her chil­dren liv­ing in a block of flats be­cause of fire safety is­sues.

Danielle Wil­son, of Oak Tree House, in By­brook Road, Ashford, said the flats have had prob­lems with drugs and anti-so­cial be­hav­iour, in­clud­ing fae­ces be­ing smeared on walls. She said there are reg­u­lar po­lice vis­its.

She also claims smoke from out­side of­ten comes into her flat.

Ms Wil­son has called the coun­cil but says the au­thor­i­ties are fail­ing to take ac­tion to im­prove fire safety at her flat, where she lives with her two chil­dren, one of whom has asthma.

Ms Wil­son added: “This is like the coun­cil with Gren­fell Tower, I’ve re­ported the prob­lems about fire safety and this is go­ing to scare other ten­ants.

“They say it will cost too much for them to block the smoke. I don’t want to be smelling it and I don’t want my chil­dren to be smelling it. No one should be in­hal­ing it.”

An Ashford Bor­ough Coun­cil spokesman said: “We have been in reg­u­lar con­tact with ten­ants and car­ried out tests on their smoke alarms which are both in full work­ing or­der.

“The coun­cil takes the safety of its res­i­dents ex­tremely se­ri­ously and com­pletes reg­u­lar fire risk as­sess­ments on all its prop­er­ties.”

Danielle Wil­son in the kitchen of her flat in Oak Tree House

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.