Pair swapped seats while driv­ing to es­cape from po­lice

Cou­ple in court after car chase in coun­try lane

Kentish Gazette Canterbury & District - - Letters And Opinion - By Keith Hunt khunt@thek­m­ @Ken­tishgazette

A cou­ple swapped seats in a car while it was mov­ing as they tried to get away from po­lice, a court heard.

The Chero­kee Jeep was trav­el­ling at about 25mph in a coun­try lane when Pri­cilla Smith moved into the pas­sen­ger seat to let Robert Mobey take the wheel.

He then led of­fi­cers on a chase be­fore crash­ing the car, Maid­stone Crown Court was told.

Mobey, of Cock­er­ing Road, Can­ter­bury, and Smith, of Syd­ney Road, Whit­stable, both ad­mit­ted dan­ger­ous driv­ing when they ap­peared at Maid­stone Crown Court on Tues­day.

Mobey, 38, also ad­mit­ted driv­ing while dis­qual­i­fied and Smith, 49, ad­mit­ted han­dling a stolen su­per­mar­ket card from a bur­glary.

They both de­nied com­mit­ting a bur­glary in Goldfinch Close, Faver­sham, and no ev­i­dence was of­fered against them.

Pros­e­cu­tor Trevor Wright said the Jeep was seen trav­el­ling from Can­ter­bury on the A2 to­wards Faver­sham on April 20.

Smith was driv­ing as it was stopped near Bren­ley Corner. An of­fi­cer told her to pull into a drive­way, but Mobey told her: “Do one.”

The car lurched for­ward, nar­rowly miss­ing a po­lice car and headed to­wards Sell­ing, driv­ing at about 50mph in coun­try lanes.

“The ve­hi­cle slowed be­cause the oc­cu­pants were chang­ing places,” said Mr Wright. “Once Mr Mobey sat in the driver’s side the ve­hi­cle ac­cel­er­ated away at max­i­mum speed.”

The car re­turned to Bren­ley Lane where Mobey re­versed at speed, lost con­trol and hit the verge. The tow bar was ripped off. A po­lice of­fi­cer drove into the Jeep to im­mo­bilise it. Mobey and Smith were both ar­rested.

Mobey was jailed for a year but was due for re­lease hav­ing served al­most six months on re­mand.

He was banned from driv­ing for three years and will have to take an ex­tended test be­fore be­ing al­lowed back on the road.

The drug ad­dict was said to have com­pleted a re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion course while on re­mand.

Smith had been held in cus­tody since Oc­to­ber 20 after fail­ing to at­tend court. She was on a tagged cur­few for 112 days.

She was sen­tenced to eight months im­pris­on­ment sus­pended for two years and banned from driv­ing for two years. She will also have to take an ex­tended test.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.