City council’s response
“We were concerned to see the video posted online last week given that the property was completely refurbished before the current resident moved in seven weeks ago. It is highly unusual for a property to deteriorate so quickly and we are urgently investigating how it happened.
“An inspection was carried out on Monday and the property was given a thorough mould wash. The resident was also given advice about ways to better ventilate the property.
“We are very close to securing a permanent home for the family but as of early Wednesday have been unable to contact them this week despite repeated attempts by our officers and messages left.
“We’d urge the family to get in touch with us, as resolving their housing situation is a priority for us.”